cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failed to validate the user credential, configuring ethernet interfaces

edwardd
Level 2

Greetings.

I am hoping this community can offer some direction or guidance.

I have a NetBackup 8.2 appliance configured at one site (network and IPMI access were all functioning). This appliance was to be moved to another site, and consequently another network. Before physically moving the appliance, I conigured the IPMI to match the network at the new site (which I was unable to take advantage of due to not having access to a computer with Java on it).

Once the appliance was mounted and the IPMI was connected at the new site (the other ethernet interfaces were unplugged/disconnected still), I started noticing some behaviors:

• Longer than usual boot up time.
  • When logging in with the local administrative account, the time to login was longer than usual, and a message would appear that read "Unable to authenticate the user for web service access."
  • When I would finally be logged in (this was being done using a KVM in the rack and not IPMI remote management), I would attempt to configure an ethernet interface to match the new network, and I would receive an error of "Failed to validate the user credentials. Please logout and login to Appliance Shell Menu and retry the operation."
  • Furthermore, this "Failed to validate..." error would also be received when trying to run Appliance.Network > Show Configuration.
  • Logging out/logging in and restarting for good measure did not seem to have an effect on the behaviors.

Regarding the "Unable to authenticate the user for web service access..." I did execute Appliance.Infraservices > Show All, and all 3 (Database, Message queue and Web server) are all reported as running.

I am hoping there is something I am missing.

Assistance, recommendations and guidance are all welcome.

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @edwardd 

Another thing to check/ask - is the appliance configured to use Active Directory (or LDAP) authorization/authentication? If so, you could try removing this (you can reconfigure this later once the network is functioning again). 

Also, if you are able to log in and can get an elevated shell running, you could try renaming the /etc/resolv.conf file to see if this helps you configure the network correctly.

David

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @edwardd 

Firstly did you attach the storage shelves (if any back how they were)? And is this a media server or combined master/media?

Secondly, the slowness in booting and login time will be due to the lack of network connectivity (various actions will attempt to perform a DNS reverse lookup which will timeout leading to the delays). 

It seems you have found the article describing the issue you have and have verified the infrastructure services are running. I think your next step should be to log a support case and have someone assist you to recover the appliance (you may need to boot into single user mode and even possible disable the IPS system temporarily - which are tasks better left to support). 

Cheers
David

davidmoline
Level 6
Employee

Hi @edwardd 

Another thing to check/ask - is the appliance configured to use Active Directory (or LDAP) authorization/authentication? If so, you could try removing this (you can reconfigure this later once the network is functioning again). 

Also, if you are able to log in and can get an elevated shell running, you could try renaming the /etc/resolv.conf file to see if this helps you configure the network correctly.

David

Hi @davidmoline,

To reply back to your previous posts:

1. Combined master and media server (well, it's just a single server/appliance I am working with).
  2. Thank you for providing insight on the slow boot time. I guess in the future, it may have been best to unconfigure all network/ethernet interfaces first?
  3. Active Directory/LDAP is not configured on this appliance.

I will have to attempt the elevated shell to try to get some recovery operation going, likely with the assistance of support.

Hi @edwardd 

I been involved in moving appliances before (not many though) and not encountered problems such as yours. I don't recall having to do anything specil before moving the appliance and simply reconfiguring the interface in the new location. I hope it can be as simple as disabling name resolution temporarily to enable you to config the network correctly. 

If you are able to get an elevated shell it is worth trying, but otherwise work with support to resolve your issue. 

David

Hi @davidmoline. I wanted to provide an update on the situation. The sluggishness and errors specified were remediated as soon as I renamed the resolv.conf file (via an elevated Maintenance prompt). So, the behaviors did seem to be related to DNS reverse lookups. The network interfaces configured just fine afterwards as well.

To anyone that encounters this thread, and the behaviors are similar and/or consistent with the original post, hopefully disabling name resolution (by renaming resolv.conf) restores functionality to your appliance.