cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Failure Alerts - Netbackup

Jig
Level 3
Hi

Is there a way I can get email alerts from Netbackup if a Job fails or is partially successful.

At the moment I am physically having to connect to the backup server and check hundreds of jobs everyday.

Thanks in advance.

11 REPLIES 11

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
Check out "backup_exit_notify" here:

Also, what is yor O/S and vers, and NBU vers?

Message Edited by David Rawson on 07-10-200707:58 AM

Stumpr2
Level 6
Or, instead of getting flooded with emails you can have  scheduler (like cron) send you the output from bpdbjobs that will tell you in one emil all of the failed jobs.

sdo
We do both.  Email only on failure, but only for production servers, so we have filtering built into the failure notification code inside "backup_exit_notify"... and we also have a scheduled task that runs just before we get in that lists and summarizes failures and a separate email for successful backups.

sdo
Emailing using nbmail.cmd, description of use has been updated:

Stumpr2
Level 6
Jig,
You staisfied?

Jig
Level 3
Thanks to everyone who replied.  This has helped a lot.

Thankyou.

davyboy
Level 3
if using version 6 then use NOM which will integrate with your existing smtp server including exchange if on windows. there is a section in NOM for alerting either by snmp or smtp. The built in alert to use is called 'Finalized' (stupid name but it actually means final job status) an dit can be triggered to send alerts on non zero values or values > 1 if you don't want alerting on partial successfull completion.

ohjolley
Level 2
What do you enter in Exit Status to get alerts on any jobs with job status >1?  I tried entering >1, but get "Exit Status value must be an integer".

sdo
Mr "ohjolley" what is your O/S version and NetBackup version?

If Windows, you can add the lines:
if "%5" == "0" goto :eof
if "%5" == "1" goto :eof

...at the appropriate point in your "backup_exit_notify.cmd" script.

Need a hand with DOS scripting?

Stumpr2
Level 6
ohjolley,

I think I asked almost the same thing either in this forum or in another one. I don't know DOS and asked for help. I'm glad there are people like Dave to help us out on the Dark side of operating systems. Isn't that what the D stands for in DOS? Darkside Operating System?

Anyhow, Dave has given you the proper syntax. Enjoy!

ohjolley
Level 2
Using NOM with Netbackup 6.0 on Solaris.  Was trying to setup the alert policy using the NOM GUI and the "Job Finalized" setting.