cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Faulting module ucrtbase.dll after attemtping to start spoold

CadenL
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi

I'm in the process of rebuilding a Windows NBU 8.2 media server but can't get the deduplication engine service to start. This is new physical server with a fresh OS installation (Windows 2016) using the same server name and IP address as the original - I decided to also do a fresh install of NetBackup as the original media server hadn't been installed for that long for the hardware failed. The server had an MSDP which was a SAN volume and so still intact and this is mounted on the new server using the same drive letter which I've added to the HKLM\Software\Symantec\Puredisk\agent registry key.

The SPAD service starts fine but the SPOOLD (deduplication engine) fails and returns an error in the Windows event viewer saying:

Faulting application name: spoold.exe
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll

We lost two media servers due to a leaking AC unit and the other media server has been rebuilt the same way without issue. I think this may be a Windows thing rather than NetBackup but thought I'd throw it out there just in cause anyone has seen this before or has any ideas on how to troubleshoot further.  

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

I have several times tested a procedure with Media Server OS/NBU reinstall and MSDP storage intact, and it was ok.

But after NBU fresh install, you must run nbdevconfig -setconfig -storage_server <server> -stype PureDisk ... . Have you run this? No need to update some registry keys.

Regards

Michal

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

(humble pie edit)

didn't know there was a procedure for this

(live and learn)

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

ucrtbase.dll is Universal C Runtime Base from Microsoft Visual C++

Maybe upgrade/re-install of Visual C++ runtime libraries will solve the issue, it is my best guess.

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

I have several times tested a procedure with Media Server OS/NBU reinstall and MSDP storage intact, and it was ok.

But after NBU fresh install, you must run nbdevconfig -setconfig -storage_server <server> -stype PureDisk ... . Have you run this? No need to update some registry keys.

Regards

Michal

CadenL

Hi

Thanks both

I'll apply the latest updates and perhaps remove and re-install the Visual C++ libraries

- I'm working with the following Veritas technotes in mind.

https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/25074086-136046435-0/v29133721-136046435

thanks

CadenL

Thanks Michal

Is the nbdevconfig run on the master server?

thanks

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

no, on the Media in question. You must aslo have prepared the following configlistfile for the command (especially you must know MSDP Storage Server credentials, if not then steps are a bit more complex - https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100038891:(

V7.5 "storagepath" "E:\DEDUP" string
V7.5 "spalogpath" "E:\DEDUP\log" string
V7.5 "dbpath" "E:\DEDUP" string
V7.5 "required_interface" "BACKUP11" string
V7.5 "spalogretention" "7" int
V7.5 "verboselevel" "3" int
V7.5 "replication_target(s)" "none" string
V7.5 "spalogin" "login" string
V7.5 "spapasswd" "password" string

Rgds M.

CadenL

great -  thanks very much

And is that the syntax I need to use?

What does the V7.5 mean? Do I need to change that for a NBU 8.2 version - should it be V8.2 for me?

And do I need to include the word string at the end of each line?

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

keep it as it is. Actually 7.5 is not NetBackup version, it is version of the config file, and I was always ok with "7.5". Also keep "string". It is pretty documented, see here: https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/doc/25074086-136046435-0/v32694306-136046435.

Regards

Michal

CadenL

Thanks all - it's all sorted

I think it may have perhaps been a combination of things. I applied the latest Windows updates that were waiting to be installed, but I was still getting errors after this. I then decided to remove and re-install NBU and I think this was the main issue. After this I could get the MSDP back on-line, and using the nbdevconfig -setconfig approach is a better way than updating registry keys manually - so thanks for that. I ran a nbdevconfig -getconfig on of my other media server's configuration and then used the output file as a template for the failed one... but it's quite a well documented process if you know where to look.

thanks again