cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Few VM's backup alone failing with status code 6 in Policy where other VM are Successful

praba_nbu
Level 3

Few VM's backup alone failing with status code 6 in Policy where other VM are Successful

Error :

14-Sep-2018 6:09:36 PM - Error bpbrm (pid=81864) from client *****: ERR - Error opening the snapshot disks using given transport mode: san Status 23
14-Sep-2018 6:09:37 PM - Info bptm (pid=82964) waited for full buffer 1 times, delayed 1340 times
14-Sep-2018 6:09:37 PM - Info bpbkar32 (pid=83372) bpbkar waited 0 times for empty buffer, delayed 0 times.
14-Sep-2018 6:09:37 PM - Info bptm (pid=82964) EXITING with status 90 <----------
14-Sep-2018 6:09:40 PM - Error bpbrm (pid=81864) could not send server status message to client
14-Sep-2018 6:09:41 PM - Critical bpbrm (pid=81864) unexpected termination of client *****
14-Sep-2018 6:09:42 PM - Info bpbkar32 (pid=0) done. status: 6: the backup failed to back up the requested files
14-Sep-2018 6:09:42 PM - end writing; write time: 0:00:26
the backup failed to back up the requested files  (6)

Note : I'm completely new to Netbackup so please need some advice on this. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

VirgilDobos
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hi mate,

Can you confirm that datastores for these VMs are zoned/mapped to the NetBackup host and can be seen at OS-level?

Was SAN transport mode explicitly selected in the policy? Have you tried using NBD?

--Virgil

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

VirgilDobos

Hi mate,

Can you confirm that datastores for these VMs are zoned/mapped to the NetBackup host and can be seen at OS-level?

Was SAN transport mode explicitly selected in the policy? Have you tried using NBD?

--Virgil

Marianne

@praba_nbu wrote:

@praba_nbu

1st step to troubleshoot here is to look at recommendations in @VirgilDobos's post.
The error is clearly with San Transport mode.

This doc explains VMware Transport modes and requirements: 
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH183072

Another good read is the NBU for VMware Admin Guide. 
You can find links to manuals for your NBU version in Handy NBU Links in my signature. 

Hi Virgil, i will get that checked with the VM Team who manages it. And yes its given as SAN transport mode in Policy and its needed that way as documented since its mentioned NBD would be unencrypted. 

@Marianne wrote:

@praba_nbu wrote:

@praba_nbu

1st step to troubleshoot here is to look at recommendations in @VirgilDobos's post.
The error is clearly with San Transport mode.

This doc explains VMware Transport modes and requirements: 
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.TECH183072

Another good read is the NBU for VMware Admin Guide. 
You can find links to manuals for your NBU version in Handy NBU Links in my signature. 

Surely will look into it @Marianne. Thanks for the links. 

Marianne
You may want to select NBDSSL as alternative transport method.

From the TN that I shared:
4. NBDSSL: NBDSSL is the same as NBD, except that NBDSSL uses SSL to encrypt all data passed over the TCP/IP connection.

FYI

@Marianne : I tried the NBDSSL but it didnt work either. My team members ask me to check with VMWare team to move the VM to different ESXi Host all the time. And its a Hit and Miss still. 

"Can you confirm that datastores for these VMs are zoned/mapped to the NetBackup host and can be seen at OS-level?" - Asked the VMWare team to check this. 

Note : Multiple VMs getting failed with same Error now