cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File System or BMR backup for Exchange and SQL Cluster nodes

abidghori
Level 3

Dear All

i have two nodes exchange 2007 cluster nodes with CCR and we have netbackup veritas cluster with Netbackup 7, i am taking exchagne GRT backup. i would like to ask, is it ok to take BMR or File System backup for exchange and sql nodes.

its urgent, kindly reply as soon as you can.

Regards

AbidGhori

4 REPLIES 4

Suchitra
Level 4
Employee

You should be able to take a BMR backup of the cluster system with Exchange if you are choosing the Policy Type as MS Windows NT ( file system level).

BMR as of now doesn't support Flashbackup or Snapshot based backups.

Thanks

maj_rif
Level 4

Hi,

if you are interested to build BMR then you have to shcedule separate backup policy with Ms-window policy type and check "collect bmr information". this policy will assist you to recover operating system and application level backup e.g. exchange, sql server will assist you to take database level backup.

Personally i do not like BMR as recovery is too long and that doest cover application and database backup. I personally suggest you to think about BESR, that is really great tool for all server level recoveries. you can take snapshot of complete system and put it on any shared storage. in case of recovery recover that image and you would be able to restore it on any other server. In BMR it is really hard to change resource tree for new server.

http://www.symantec.com/business/backup-exec-system-recovery-server-edition

i hope that will work for you.

Mouse
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have feeling that BMR won't recover the cluster, I've never heard about BMR's ability of cluster recovery, but I'd be glad to be wrong

abidghori
Level 3

Dear Mouse

the idea behind BMR is to save time, instead of installing OS, patches,application, directly recover from BMR and attach the LUNs where exchange database is there.

regards

AbidGhori