cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File or Directory level exclusion in VADP

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

hi,

I have been trying to figure out if there is a way or trick to exclude the files or Directories in VAPD backups.

i understand that there is an option to exclude the boot disk ro data disk, which excludes entire disk.

my requirement is to exclude only specific files, like database files( as DBA is taking the backup of those files in his own method and dumping to the same Drive and Netbackup is taking those files as flat filesysem backups), as database files and database backup files(dump) are in same Drive, I can not exclude entire Drive.

I though its worth asking all you guys if you find  a trick to exclude files or Directories

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

RLeon
   VIP   

as DBA is taking the backup of those files in his own method and dumping to the same Drive and Netbackup is taking those files as flat filesysem backups

Best option is to convince the DBA to let Nbu handle the SQL backups.

If not then here is a trick...
Tell him to put his DB dumps in any of the following storage:
 - RDM (Raw Device Mapping) volumes in physical compatibility mode
 - iSCSI volumes (Guest OS based iSCSI Initiator)
 - CIFS shares / UNC paths
 - "Independent Disk" mode vmdk volumes

All of the above will automatically be skipped by Nbu VADP / vStorage type backups.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Regarding concept of VADP backup, it is not possible to exclude specific files and folders. In VADP backup, NetBackup takes whole vmdk. Only option we can use is "Exclude boot disk" or "Exclude data disks".

In this case, I think it is best to exclude data disks from VADP backup and to backup DB and files using NetBackup client on VM.

RLeon
   VIP   

as DBA is taking the backup of those files in his own method and dumping to the same Drive and Netbackup is taking those files as flat filesysem backups

Best option is to convince the DBA to let Nbu handle the SQL backups.

If not then here is a trick...
Tell him to put his DB dumps in any of the following storage:
 - RDM (Raw Device Mapping) volumes in physical compatibility mode
 - iSCSI volumes (Guest OS based iSCSI Initiator)
 - CIFS shares / UNC paths
 - "Independent Disk" mode vmdk volumes

All of the above will automatically be skipped by Nbu VADP / vStorage type backups.

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

Good Idea...!