cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File recovery with Hyper-V VM

ErwinVreys
Level 4

Hi,

We are currently on version 7.6.0.4 and I'm reading the notes to upgrade to version 7.6.1.2. We need this version because I need the support for Sharepoint 2013 with SQL server 2014.

When reading through the release notes of version 7.6.1.2 I saw the following remark: "File recovery from VM backup is not supported for VMs that are .vhdx files". I'm wondering is this always the case? I did a test in my lab environment and I was able to restore a single file from a vhdx VM.

We have several VM's already running with this config. Previous versions of Netbackup never mentioned this flaw. Are there certain netbackup configs were this flaw doesn't exists? I can't affort to lose this funtionality.

We need the Sharepoint 2013 with SQL 2014 support. So not upgrading to 7.6.1.2 is not an option. Do I need to create a MS-Windows backup policy for those VM's just to keep the file recovery available? Are there any other options?

Regards,
Erwin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ErwinVreys
Level 4

I opened a case and got this answer yesterday.

I did some digging in on this and confirmed this from few of my seniors.
Individual file restore of .vhdx files is perfectly supported in netbackup 7.6.1.2.
The information given in the release notes will be rectified shortly.
Please let me know in case of any concerns.

I would say problem solved!

regards,
Erwin

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Jaime_Vazquez
Level 6
Employee

Based on what i am reading, this is for backups of the VM as an virtual instance, not as a guest OS.

In order to continue to have full client support at the file and database agent level, you will need to backup the guest OS instance as if it were a physical server.  NetBackup supports full compatibility of the guest instance if it is handled in the same manner as a physical server.  Look at this published article:

Statement of Support for NetBackup 7.x in a Virtual Environment (Virtualization Technologies)   
http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH127089 

In it it states:

NetBackup has an open support policy for virtualization platforms, as follows:
- NetBackup is qualified on physical configurations.
- If the same configuration can be virtualized, it is supported without explicit
qualification on the virtualization platform (unless otherwise noted in this
document).

So, yes, in order to get the backup and recovery functionality you desire, you will need to make use of the Windows NT backup policy and any agents and agent policy types that are required for things like Sharepoint. Do backups and recoveries as if it were a physical server, not a VM on a virtual serve.

ErwinVreys
Level 4

I opened a case and got this answer yesterday.

I did some digging in on this and confirmed this from few of my seniors.
Individual file restore of .vhdx files is perfectly supported in netbackup 7.6.1.2.
The information given in the release notes will be rectified shortly.
Please let me know in case of any concerns.

I would say problem solved!

regards,
Erwin