cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File server backup was partially successful Netbackup 7.7.2

Jayden_TanLZ
Level 2
Error bpbrm (pid=26016) from client xxx: ERR - failure reading file: Shadow Copy Components:\User Data\Distributed File System Replication\DfsrReplicatedFolders\Department\xxx.pst (WIN32 33: Unknown error)

Hi All, when i backup the file server, there is a .pst skip file. I understand that Netbackup will skip it is because of use open and use the .pst file while the backup is running.

Would like to know is it any better suggestion to backup open .pst file instead request user close the file?

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

PST files should be closed during backup.

Similar discussion over here:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/NetBackup/PST-Opened-don-t-backup/td-p/562144

Hi Marianne

Marianne
Level 6

DLO is short for "Desktop and Laptop"

It will not help in your environment as the PSTs are not on user desktops or laptops but on the fileserver. 

The way that NetBackup deals with DFS-R is also different to regular filesystems.
(There are a number of TNs about this.)

According to this article, BE also has issues with backing up PSTs within DFS-R:
https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Articles/DFS-and-DFSR-Backing-up-your-distributed-file-system-with-Backup...

Hi Marianne, 

Do you have any supporting article or document regarding this? I am tried to understand the technology used by BE 2014 and Netbackup 7.7.2 to backup the file server open pst.

This is because I reviewed back the backup status completed previously in BE2014, there is no skipped file occur. However, after migrate to the Netbackup, the skipped file backup appear.

Can you help me to understand this?

Thank you.

Marianne
Level 6

The comments to above-mentioned article are user's real-life experience with backing up pst's as part of DFS-R backup. 

One of the comments is quoting Microsoft URLs.
Look for this at the start of the comment: 
...there are two problems with your pst-files:

If you honestly believe this is a NetBackup problem, then please log a Support call with Veritas.