cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find out how much data written to tapes

Puffy
Level 6
 Is there any commands or tools to generate the amount of data written for a certain time frame.

Thansks
9 REPLIES 9

FrSchind
Level 5
Partner
You can get a list of images with their size for a specific timeframe by running bpimagelist. A documentation of the columns in the output is under http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/193085.htm
You can get the sum of the image sizes by using awk. Example for size in kb of all Images from the last 24 hours:
bpimagelist -hoursago 24 | grep IMAGE | awk '{sum+=$19}END{print $sum}'

This will include images written to disk - so if you use a disk storage unit it will get a bit harder. First get a list of tapes written in the timeframe (time assigned, last written) and then query the images on these media by bpimmedia - this will take some time.

Puffy
Level 6
 thanks

unfortunately I do not have awk installed.

Will try to use bpimagelist -U or -L to export to csv and use Excel to manage the data.

Thanks.

FrSchind
Level 5
Partner
not having awk spoils the fun. The NetBackup Operations Manager might be able to report you the written kb, so you could try it this way. You could also create a bpdbjobs report and take the kbytes from there, if you have to use excel you can create some more investigative pivot-tables like grouping backup volume by client. To get a bpdbjobs -report output, that fits your needs, you have to configure the colums as described in http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/266314.htm

Giroevolver
Level 6
Is this server running in Windows?

If so it shows you the amount of data written to a tape is shown in the volume pool that the tape is in. if its not there change the columns to show kilobytes and that is the amount of data written to the tape

Thanks

Mark

rookie11
   VIP   
In NBU GUI left side menu -->> reports-->> media-->> there is option media written  along with other option.
In my project i maintain media reports this way

Shashank
Level 4
Hi
  Use bplist command i.e. go to netbackup install path & go to admincmd directoty bplist -m in admincmd.

rookie11
   VIP   
i think working on GUI would be easier than running commands

jagannath_tulas
Level 2
 you can see the amount of data by checking in  the volume pool that the tape is in. it will be much easier then to run command

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6
I have a unix script.

z=0
for x in $(/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimagelist -U -hoursago 64 | grep -v "^[KB-]" | awk '{ print $5 }')
do
z=$(( $x + z ))
done
echo $z | /usr/bin/mail -s " Weekend Backups" someonewho@cares.com

this comes back with a number that goes into a graph that I track how much we backup every weekend to see our weekly growth.