cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fire wall Port Requirement VMware and Hyper V by physical backup method.

Manumohan
Level 4

Hi Veritas,

Please help me to give the right information. I have Vmware client and Hyper-V clients. Backup method is by installing client agent and in in Vmware client and Hyper V client.

1. We have firewall inbetween and so which are the ports i need to open between Master/ Cliet and Client to Master and Master to Media. Backup method installing client agent on VM directly and bacup.

2. We have Enterprise Standard client licenlse. Do i need any additional license.

6 REPLIES 6

PatS729
Level 5

You would need to open BPCD (13782), VNETD (13724) and PBX (1556). If VMware Clients are running database agents and if you would plan to backup those Databses then you would also need to open BPRD (13720) on firewall.

Please note all above ports should be opened bi-directional.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
As from NBU 7.0.1, ONLY PBX (port 1556) needs to be opened in both directions between clients and server(s). If you tell us which NBU version, we can post links to the relevant NBU documentation. Standard Client is by far not the best or recommended way to backup VMware. Speak to your local reseller about Enterprise Client license that enables VMware or Hyper-V policy type.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Do remember that the ports given by Veritas is the inbound ports, on some firewalls you have to give both source and destination ports. The connections is usually high port-> pbx

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Manumohan
Level 4

Hi Marine,

The version we using is 7.7.X . Our initial plan was to backup using VADP method with VM backup host. unfortulately the on ESX server the Disk using is RDM so Netbackup could not perform a sanpshot backup . Actually it is not a Netbackup problem but a Vmare limitation.

Regarding the firewall ports We have DB clients as well. This is a highly secured network using for governence. so i must use only required ports. For bi directional port opening customer is asking for proof and authenticity. So please suggest only the required ports.

Target clinet type are SAP VM , SQL on VM, AD and normal clients.

Also is there any other solution to bacup ESX server assigned with RDM disk. Alterate client method is avilable but we are not plan to use that.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

See version 7.7 NetBackup Network Ports Reference Guide  .

You only need port 1556 bi-directional between media servers and clients and between db clients and the master server.

Normal clients with ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES in the policy and Windows clients that do VSS snapshot backups (default for MS-Windows policy) also require port 1556 between master and clients.

Regular NBU client backups or Alternate (Snapshot) Client are the only options with RDM.

Manumohan
Level 4

Thank you Marine!