cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time Redirected Restore

RCBrown_DKH
Level 4

I have started a new job that uses NetBackup 7.1.  I am trying to figure out how to do a redirected restore of a 2003 Exchange Mailbox.  I am not having much luck with the Symantec documentation.  If someone could explain what I need to do or point me in the direction that would be very helpful.  I have tried all different policy types (MS-Windows, MS-Exchnage, etc).  Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Questions:

1. How was Exchange mailboxes backed up - just Information Store or separate Mailbox policy? Or Information Store with GRT selected? If no GRT or Mailbox policy, you won't be able to restore mailbox. You will be able to restore entire Information Store to Recovery Storage Group.
  2. Do you have a fully functional alternate Exchange server where you want to restore to? I doubt that this possibly within the same AD.
  3. Does the mailbox exist on the destination Exchange Server?
  4. Why not just restore to new mailbox on same server?

Mailbox restore to alternate location is covered in NBU for Exchange Server Admin Guide  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3669 p. 171 under the topic:
Prerequisites and operational notes for restoring Exchange individual mailboxes, mailbox folders, public folders, or messages

HOWTO procedure starts on p. 172.

To browse for backups, the Server entry is ALWAYS the master server
Source Client is Client name in Exchange policy for Mailbox backups
Policy Type must be MS-Exchange
Destination Client will be your alternate, fully funcional Exchange server.

If your Master server is W2008, remember to open BAR GUI with 'Run As Administrator'.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

are you trying to redirect to a RDB (Recovery Data Base) or to a different server?

your type will always be MS-Exchange as that is what it was backed up as.

Please give more detail as to What you are trying to restore and where/what your redirection is.

RCBrown_DKH
Level 4

I have a clustered Exchange 2003 setup.  All i want to do is redirect a restore to a different server.  It will be a single users mailbox that needs to be restored but not to server it was backed up from.

RCBrown_DKH
Level 4

In the Specify Netbackup machines and Policy Type i keep getting the Pipe Close Failed error.  I have tried several different combinations for the Server To Use, Source Client for Restores and Policy Type boxes will no luck.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Questions:

1. How was Exchange mailboxes backed up - just Information Store or separate Mailbox policy? Or Information Store with GRT selected? If no GRT or Mailbox policy, you won't be able to restore mailbox. You will be able to restore entire Information Store to Recovery Storage Group.
  2. Do you have a fully functional alternate Exchange server where you want to restore to? I doubt that this possibly within the same AD.
  3. Does the mailbox exist on the destination Exchange Server?
  4. Why not just restore to new mailbox on same server?

Mailbox restore to alternate location is covered in NBU for Exchange Server Admin Guide  http://www.symantec.com/docs/DOC3669 p. 171 under the topic:
Prerequisites and operational notes for restoring Exchange individual mailboxes, mailbox folders, public folders, or messages

HOWTO procedure starts on p. 172.

To browse for backups, the Server entry is ALWAYS the master server
Source Client is Client name in Exchange policy for Mailbox backups
Policy Type must be MS-Exchange
Destination Client will be your alternate, fully funcional Exchange server.

If your Master server is W2008, remember to open BAR GUI with 'Run As Administrator'.

RCBrown_DKH
Level 4

Thank you, the documentation in NBU for Exchange Server Admin Guide was what i needed.