Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flashbackup with Netbackup 7.1.0.2

SLIM786
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

Morning Good People,

We have a VM Server in our environment that has over 13million folders and files, The conventional backup method is no longer working for us, The Full backup takes +- 4 days to complete 600GB, The file/folder structure is ridiculous on this server.

I have purchased an enterprise client license to use flasbackups for this particular server, Policy type has now been set to Flashbackup-Windows, Im not going to be performing any off host backups so that option has been deselected, I have set the backup slection to \\.\D: as this is the problematic drive and this is the only drive that i want to backup.

The D drive has a total size of 800GB with only 600GB used space, I do know that the Full backup will be 800GB,

I have not kicked the backup off yet as I still need clarification with regards to the below,

My question is would I require additional space on the server for the actual snapshot, where exactly would the cache snapshot location be and what would the size be?

Kind Regards,

Slim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I am assuming you are switching from VSphere backup to agent based Flashbackup.

In this case the actual snapshot is VSS based. Check out the vssadmin command to modify VVS snapshot settings (vssadmin resize shadowstorage is important).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754968%28WS.10%29.aspx

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

AAlmroth
Level 6
Partner Accredited

The location of the COW data all depends on your setup. First we need to understand whether you use Windows VSS, or VSS with VxVM snapshots?

In both cases you can configure the location one way or another. The default for VSS is to store the COW on the same drive, but you can configure to use a separate/global drive. VSS settings can be configured in NetBackup to some extent.

VxVM is configured on the host in order to configure the snapshot environment. You can then further control the behaviour in NBU during backup.

If you use VxVM with FlashSnap license you can use VSS in NBU to control the snapshots in VxVM.

The size is a completely different matter... There is really no way to calculate without knowing the change rate on the disk during backup. You will have to measure this during a backup. I usually allocate 10% to start with, and then change to the proper size based on the maximum use seen.

You should perhaps consider using the VMWare backup approach instead, but this depends on whether the data disk is RDM or a VMDK. If it is a VMDK you could potentially get much better backup speed by using vStorage approach, instead of in-guest backup. If you use RDM, you will need to use in-guest backup.

/A

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

I am assuming you are switching from VSphere backup to agent based Flashbackup.

In this case the actual snapshot is VSS based. Check out the vssadmin command to modify VVS snapshot settings (vssadmin resize shadowstorage is important).

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754968%28WS.10%29.aspx

SLIM786
Level 3
Partner Accredited Certified

Thanks Gents,

@ AAImrothm - We using Windows VSS

To be on the safe side Im going to present a seperate LUN of 100GB called the F drive, Open My computer on the actual server, go to the problematic drive, right click..properties...Shadow Copies and change the storage area to the F drive and monitor once the backup kicks off

Kind Regards,

Aslam

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Do not try to backup a drive already snaped.

E.g two policy one with ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive and one with e.g F:\ - That will result in one of the snaps to be dissolve.  Good to know when you see it :)

Thanks for marking as a solution.