Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Folder I created unexpectedly deleted netbackup/db/images

tien86
Level 4
Partner

Hello,

I backup a Oracle RAC. The master server is windows server 2008 R2 x64. Two client names is db1-vip, db2-vip

I following this guide, create link like this:

mkdir db-rac

mkliink /j db1-vip db-rac

mkliink /j db2-vip db-rac

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH43187

cd /usr/openv/netbackup/db/images
mkdir myRAC
ln -s myRAC vipA
ln -s myRAC vipB

The same image directory structure and functionality can be created on a Windows master server using Junctions, which have been available in NTFS since Windows 2000;  http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/FileAndDisk/Junction.mspx 

I can backup OK. But I find that the day after backup, the folder db-rac disappeared. Is some process of Netbackup can automatically delete this folder? 

Which document should I read to admin the db/images folder

Thank you and appriciate for any suggestion.

9 REPLIES 9

tien86
Level 4
Partner

I created yesterday. Today the folder db-rac is delete again. I also do not know where the sub folder gone. Hope some people from symantec can check this problem.

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

what is the retenction that you are keeping for the images... that are going to db-rac  ?

tien86
Level 4
Partner

No policy for db-rac. I create policy for 2 clients db1-vip, db2-vip. The retention is 2 weeks. 

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have seen NBU deleting empty folders during Image Cleanup job.

So, see if it works when you create the folder and links and then immediately afterwards kick off a backup.

Check if subfolders and files are created in db-rac when the policy runs.

tien86
Level 4
Partner

Yes Image Cleanup Job is delete my folder. I using command bpimage -cleanup -allclients and my folder is lost.

In this situation when this folder is deleted, Is all backup image from netbackup catalog is lost ?( for client db1 and db2) . is This same that all backup of my RAC lost? 

Is there a way to follow TechNote http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH43187. Because I need do this incase restore RAC from 1 node and I already tried successfullly in Linux Master Server.

Marianne

I have seen Image Cleanup deleting EMPTY folders, not folders containing valid image info.

If you have kicked off a backup after creating the folder and verified that backup image files were actually written in that folder, but Image Cleanup still deleted the folder, you need to log an URGENT call with Symantec Support (Severity 2).

Yes. All image info for those 2 clients are gone.

Mention TECH43187 when you log the call and that all backup data is lost.

They may tell you that this procedure is not supported for Windows....

Let us know what happens.

tien86
Level 4
Partner

I do not create SR because I found out that I dont need to create folder while restoring.

I can restore just by allocate channel to 2 clients ( 2 node of RAC ). It will find the folders which contain backup images.

Marianne

Your issue was with creating folders and links and with image folders containing valid backups getting deleted.

I don't understand what you are referring to as SR?

If you have found another solution or workaround, please try to explain in detail as this may help other Connect users with similar queries.

tien86
Level 4
Partner

I explain again.

SR is service request in Oracle = Case in Symantec.

I found another solution is:

The purpose of this task is for restore .RAC

To restore when backup I do not need to use folder db-rac. I only need 2 folder: db1-vip, db2-vip which is already exsitence.

run {

set until time "to_date('2014-12-15:18:00:00', 'yyyy-mm-dd:hh24:mi:ss')";

ALLOCATE CHANNEL t1 TYPE 'SBT_TAPE' PARMS='ENV=(NB_ORA_CLIENT=db1-vip)';

ALLOCATE CHANNEL t2 TYPE 'SBT_TAPE' PARMS='ENV=(NB_ORA_CLIENT=db2-vip)';

SEND 'NB_ORA_POLICY=Backup-Oracle-db,NB_ORA_SERV=dr-backup-01';

set newname for datafile 1 to '+DATA01';

restore database;

release channel t1;

release channel t2;

}