cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For Red Hat Linux, NetBackup requires server networking?

touched
Level 2

Hi,

I am investigating Netbackup (7.6) as a backup solution for a client. In the past I have installed V7.5  on HPUX, but am looking to move to RHEL 6 for the master server for the next installation. However I see the following text in the Installation Guide: 

About NetBackup server installation requirements
for UNIX/Linux systems

Red Hat Linux - For Red Hat Linux, NetBackup requires server networking.

Its a bit vague, but would I be right in understanding this means that effectively it requires access to the internet to complete the installation i.e. take care of package dependencies? The reason I ask is that the server will not have any access outside the local LAN.

If this is the case, would it be enough to have the RHEL OS install Disks to take care of any dependencies?

Or have I misunderstood what this is referring to?

Appreciate any advice

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Hi touched,

Your Master sever does NOT need to have access to the internet, but it MUST have a configured network card that works on your LAN. As long as that is the case, NetBackup will install. If the NIC is not setup NetBackup will fail to install.

Hope that helps

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

revarooo
Level 6
Employee

Hi touched,

Your Master sever does NOT need to have access to the internet, but it MUST have a configured network card that works on your LAN. As long as that is the case, NetBackup will install. If the NIC is not setup NetBackup will fail to install.

Hope that helps

touched
Level 2

Hi revaroo,

It didn't make much sense to me to ne honest as I am sure my situation is not unique.. Thanks for clearing that up for me.