cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Force MEDIA server to use own drive

AKopel
Level 6
OK,
I want to force some of my media servers to "Use Local Drive" which I see as an option under the Master Server host properties under "General Server". I do not see such an option under the Media Server host properties...
Anyone know a way to do this? (NBU 6.0 MP4 Windows) (I swear that there used to be an option in 5.0 to do this....)

Thanks!
AK
13 REPLIES 13

DavidParker
Level 6
Possible explanation:

Must Use Local Drive
This property appears for master servers only.

If the client is also a master server and the Must Use Local Drive check box is checked, backups must occur on a local drive. If the client is not a master server, this setting has no effect.

Note Although this property appears as a setting for media servers as well, the media server must also be a master server in order for the property to take effect.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This setting increases performance because backups are done locally rather than possibly being sent across the network. For example, in a SAN environment you can create a storage unit for each SAN media server and then mix the media-server clients with other clients in a policy that uses ANY AVAILABLE storage unit. When a backup starts for a client that is a SAN media server, the backups go to the SAN connected drives on that server.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Dave,
I might be wrong, but I thought that if the MUST_USE_LOCAL_DRIVE was set on the master then it will also automatically be set for ALL media servers. I think I remember reading that somewhere, but I don't have a reference.

OK, I found this in the "help" section of the java GUI for the master server properties under "General Server" .

If the client is also a media server and the Must Use Local Drive check box (for the master server) is checked, backups of the client must occur on a local drive.
If the client is not a media server, this setting has no effect.

It looks like the source that you used is inacurate or else my source is inacurate. I tend to think the source I used is correct because it makes no sense for a client to be a master server, but many clients are (SAN) media servers.Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

DavidParker
Level 6
Huh, that's where I got my info from too.
I found mine in the Windows Admin Console, 5.1 MP5.

What's your sig on Tek-Tips?
"Just because the NBU documentation says it's so, doesn't mean it's actually so."??

AKopel
Level 6
Hmmm...
I tried this setting, and it does not seem to have ANY effect.
I kicked off a backup of our Netbackup Media Servers files systems (including the master server) and the all go to different drives (backing up over the network etc)
I am using a Storage Unit Group of course.

The master server also backed up over the network as it is not attached to any drives....

AK

AKopel
Level 6
I'm going to try this again after cycling the services on the Media servers, maybe they need to 're-checkin' to see what the setting is.... stay tuned...

Mark_Henrie_2
Level 4
I know that in Linux i have to stop the services, then change the bp.conf file to force the media server, then restart the services. Not sure if this will help in windows but im guessing it might.

AKopel
Level 6
Yep,
Cycling the services on the MEDIA servers did it!
Thanks all!
AK

Stumpr2
Level 6
Aaron,
Thank you for "pointing" out your solution.

I guess I'm in one of those moods today ;)

Bob Stump...
Incorrigible punster -- Do not incorrige

AKopel
Level 6
LOL!!!
I had to give the points to someone ;)

Aaron

The_Director
Level 5
Certified
Sorry......

I'm donating these points to charity if it makes you feel better.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Mark,

http://forums.symantec.com/discussions/thread.jspa?threadID=71883&tstart=0

:) :) :)

The_Director
Level 5
Certified
nice.....I will gladly be the first to donate my limited points.

DavidParker
Level 6
Kewl idea, Bob!