cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forcing policy to use new tape for daily backup

TsAdmin
Level 3

Hi All,

we have an environment that have multiple policy. in one policy, we need each time the backup triggered, it will call a new tape. each tape will have 1 week of retention period. 

Policy A

Week 1

Day 1 => tape A

Day 2 => tape B

Day 3 => tape C 

and etc..

Week 2

Day 1 => tape A

Day 2 => tape B

Day 3 => tape C

and etc...

is there anyway we can avhive that? your help are muchly approciated. 

4 REPLIES 4

Michal_Mikulik1
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Hello,

if you can export media from the library, export it. Remember to import it again after one week.

The other way is to suspend the media just written. It will be unavailable for backups till expiration passes. refer to Admin Guide.

I guess you will have to use a bit shorter expiration - 6 days - to be sure that media is full available at the beginning of the next backup window in the second week.

P.S. is there a reason for this requirement? To take care "which day is on a which tape" is a bit old-fashioned approach, which is inreasing administrative burden.

Regards

Michal

Hi Michal,

The reason to do this is that our backup size is about 5tb and i would not write to a same tape as the previous day tape. the backup will fail and would not resume to a different tape. 

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Since a tape can only belong to one volume pool, you may pursued the option to use differing volume pools per day. Downside - many volume pools kill tape efficiency and concurrency. 

That said, Netbackup is not really build for micro management. So there is no way of saying "I want Mondays backup on that tape". 

If backup fails because tape is full, you have a fault in yore systems. Netbackup can without problem backup large dataset on multiple tapes.

I recommend solving the underlying problem first, before trying to implement a soloution Netbackup is not designed for.

Best Regards
Nicolai

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
@TsAdmin
Best to troubleshoot and fix the problem.
Micro-management is not the answer.