cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frequency backup 1 week

flekzout
Level 3
Hi,

I'm using veritas netbackup 6.5 I have my policies frequency backup set for 1 week. so it will backup every week on Sunday.

But if the backup failed on Sunday, I have to start it manually on Monday. So the problem is, the backup will not start again on next Sunday because the frequency is set to be 1 week. so the next backup will kick on Monday.

Is there a way for me to make the backup to run on sunday again? instead of running on monday after it start manually.

I do not want to set it on calendar based.

Thank You.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Change the frequency to every 5 days. This will not submit a backup every 5 days, but will wait for an open window (which is only on a Sunday). This way it doesn't matter if you have submitted a manual backup on Monday.
Another option is to create a second weekly schedule in the same policy with same attributes as 1st one, just no open window. Use this schedule if any manual backups are required.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

FrSchind
Level 5
Partner
manual backups do no longer change the automatic execution - your backup should start when the window opens (=>next sunday)

you can check with nbpemreq -due

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Change the frequency to every 5 days. This will not submit a backup every 5 days, but will wait for an open window (which is only on a Sunday). This way it doesn't matter if you have submitted a manual backup on Monday.
Another option is to create a second weekly schedule in the same policy with same attributes as 1st one, just no open window. Use this schedule if any manual backups are required.

J_H_Is_gone
Level 6

Your Frequency should be longer then your window but shorter then you want it to occur.

I will try to explain.

If your backup window is 5 hours.
Then you know your frequency needs to be longer the 5 hours because if it was shorter it would run twice (if set to 3 hours it would run at the start of the window and if finished would start again 3 hours latter within the window).

However if you want to to happen once every week and you set it to 1 - weeks :
Then it starts at the window - and will not start again until 1 week AFTER it finishes.
So if your backup to 5 hours it would now start 1 week from when that last backup finished.

So if you want it to run 1 - weeks you should set it shorter then you want it to occur
5 - days - this way
it starts on Sunday and finishes.
5 days from when it finishes it starts looking for an open window.
It does not find the open windows until Sunday again, so it will start at the beginning of the Sunday window.

To take it one more
if you want it to run once a day and your window is 5 hours
then you set it your frequency to larger then 5 hours but shorter then 1 day - so somewhere about 15 or 20 HOURS.  And again it will start looking for an open window at that time, but not run till it finds one.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Frerk statement that manual or immediate backups do not effect the automatic execution is correct for version 6.5

FrSchind
Level 5
Partner

flekzout
Level 3
thank you all for your reply.. appreciate it! :)

I have daily pool, weekly pool, and quarterly pool.

daily pool - policies/backup set to run from monday to saturday (incremental)
weekly pool - policies/backup set to run every sunday (full)
quarterly pool - policies/backup set to run every 3 months (full)

policies : server1daily
                  server1 weekly
                 server 1 quarterly
                 server2 daily
                 server2 weekly
                 server2 quarterly

and so on....

so if I make the frequency to 5 days for weekly.. shouldn't it be start on friday (because I have policies for daily backup window running on that day) ? it will interrupt the daily backup. or does it separate?

The reason I asked how to make it run again on sunday, because if my backup failed on sunday due to any reason, so I need to run manually on monday because sunday I'm not working.

but when I ran manually on monday, the next sunday after that the backup didnt kick/start. :(

I tried to /etc/init.d/netbackup stop and start but it did not work. I guess I tried to reboot the c4 also didnt work.

edit: hm seems like I am getting your point.. so if I set the frequency to 5 days, that policies set for that weekly backup will look for the next window, which is friday or saturday, but in my weekly policy I dont have window set on that time, so it will run again on sunday. thank you.