Level 4
Partner Accredited

Master: 7.1.0.1
Clients: 7.1.0.1

Have SQL backups with following schedules:
Full: Once a Week - Windows sat 23 - sun 23
Diff: Once a day - Windows weekdays 22 - 04
Log: Once an hour - Windows weekdays 06 - 19

If for some reason the logfilebackup failes NBU doesn't start logfilebackup until next day after the next Diff is run

Maybee this by design but can't seem to figure out why?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have seen problem since NBU 5.x days and honestly thought it would go away once the bpsched process in NBU 5 got replaced with the 3 new processes in post-6.x. Seems NOT....

The problem seems to be with the global setting of " # tries every ## hours" (default - 2 tries every 12 hours; yours probably 1 try every 24 hours?):

Scenario that I've seen in version 5.1:

Backup is scheduled to run every hour.

If a failure occurs on 1st and 2nd attempt, scheduler 'ignores' policy for 12 hours due to global setting of 2 tries per 12 hours.

After 12 hours, backup runs again every hour as per schedule.

The workaround that I've suggested back then:

Try a setting of 2 tries per 3 hours (although this will also cause 2 hourly attempts to be skipped after a failed backup...)

The other suggestion is to troubleshoot the failed backup and then manually kick it off. After a successful backup, the scheduler should submit it again hourly.

Same problem described back in 2003: http://adsm.org//lists/html/Veritas-bu/2003-12/msg00195.html

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have seen problem since NBU 5.x days and honestly thought it would go away once the bpsched process in NBU 5 got replaced with the 3 new processes in post-6.x. Seems NOT....

The problem seems to be with the global setting of " # tries every ## hours" (default - 2 tries every 12 hours; yours probably 1 try every 24 hours?):

Scenario that I've seen in version 5.1:

Backup is scheduled to run every hour.

If a failure occurs on 1st and 2nd attempt, scheduler 'ignores' policy for 12 hours due to global setting of 2 tries per 12 hours.

After 12 hours, backup runs again every hour as per schedule.

The workaround that I've suggested back then:

Try a setting of 2 tries per 3 hours (although this will also cause 2 hourly attempts to be skipped after a failed backup...)

The other suggestion is to troubleshoot the failed backup and then manually kick it off. After a successful backup, the scheduler should submit it again hourly.

Same problem described back in 2003: http://adsm.org//lists/html/Veritas-bu/2003-12/msg00195.html