cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full restore of linux client machine to another linux box

inAkola
Level 3

Currently we have netbackup 7.5 server running on windows 2008 server. I am trying to restore a linux client machine (opensus). Something changed over past few months which is no go with one of my new manager so without touching the existing box i would like to restore the client machine to Dec full backup. Can i clone the existing machine (vmware 5.1), shut down the current one and restore entire client machine on the clone one? Any help will be appreciated. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

From what you are saying it sounds like this relates to a VMware backup?

If so then just do a re-directed restore to vCenter but choose not to power the machine on at the end of the restore

That gives you the chance to disconnect the network before powering it up to get the information from it that you need

#edit#

All done via a console session in vCenter of course

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

From what you are saying it sounds like this relates to a VMware backup?

If so then just do a re-directed restore to vCenter but choose not to power the machine on at the end of the restore

That gives you the chance to disconnect the network before powering it up to get the information from it that you need

#edit#

All done via a console session in vCenter of course

inAkola
Level 3

its not a vmware backup. I am using vmware policy under netbackup to backup all servers. 

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Sorry - so could you clarify whether that client was backed up via a VMware policy or not?

If it was backed up in a VMware policy then you can run the re-directed restore as i suggested

SymTerry
Level 6
Employee Accredited

If your using a VMWare policy, and it really sounds like you are, then this is a vmware backup. As mark pointed out, you can just do a alternate restore. Make sure that you give the restore VM a different name and also make sure you dont check the overwrite, just incase it tries too. 

If this is just a standard backup policy, then yes you will want to clone the machine in vmware and restore to the clone overwriting the contents of the clone.

inAkola
Level 3

ok thanks guyz. Appreciate. Will try it Monday and see how it goes.