cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GRT issues with NBU 7.5.0.4 on Win2K8 R2 (SharePoint/Exchange/AD)

Justin_Carpente
Level 2

I have three systems that were all backing up fine a week ago, until the storage I was backing up to died. I replaced the storage with identical storage but I then had issues connecting NBU to the new storage. I couldn't figure out what was causing the problem so I just decided to re-install NBU. Since the re-install, I have been able to connect the three systems to the new storage, but now I am running into issues backing up again. All three systems are installed as a Master Server and are not dependent of each other. I have been trying to figure out for days why I am suddenly now getting "image write failed: error 2060021: network protocol error" followed by "sts_close_handle failed: 2060021 network protocol error" and "cannot write image to disk, Invalid argument" on all three systems. The AD system is also giving me "ERR - Unable to initialize nbfsd." in front of the previously mentioned messages. Eventually I end up with "media write error(84)" and I can't figure out what I may have left out. Nothing has changed on these boxes other than the re-install of NBU, and as I mentioned before, they were all backing up without a problem until the storage died. I have researched all of the messages I am getting exhaustively and none of the suggestions I have seen have worked for me so far. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Justin_Carpente
Level 2

The strange part is that everything was working fine when pointed to one VTL, they simply began failing once the VTL "fell over." Once NBU was pointed to the storage on another VTL that appeared to be running fine, I started getting the network protocol errors. It appears as though the issue was with the replacement VTL the whole time, which makes no sense because I was able to perform backups to it from a linux initiator via OST, granted they were just files, but the backups completed successfully. I fixed the original VTL and pointed NBU back at it and the backups are completing without issue once again. Thanks for the help! yes

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Pritesh_Pisal
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hi Justin,

Need more information..

OS of the master server? why there are three master server?

on which storage unit you are backing up the data? I suppose its disk as you are talking about GRT and how it is mounted on the servers?

Please go through the below Tech Notes I hope this will help

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH187917

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH125931

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH126154

Dyneshia
Level 6
Employee

Since you reinstalled Netbackup confrim the following :

- You patched back to 7.5.0.4

- Confrim all steps were done in http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO73076 - Everything you need to know to get Exchange Granular backups to work.

(it is possible the reinstall reset the services logon account )

- Like Pirtesh, confrim the backup is going to a certified disk ( TECH187917 )

- If you are still getting an issue, please update with :

1) full job detail status

2) nbfsd , bptm from the media server

hani_hammad
Level 3
Certified

It seems like an I/O  issue, would you describe how do you connect/represent the storage to the three servers, It’s better to allow separate Lun per server as long as you don't use a lock management mechanism

Justin_Carpente
Level 2

The strange part is that everything was working fine when pointed to one VTL, they simply began failing once the VTL "fell over." Once NBU was pointed to the storage on another VTL that appeared to be running fine, I started getting the network protocol errors. It appears as though the issue was with the replacement VTL the whole time, which makes no sense because I was able to perform backups to it from a linux initiator via OST, granted they were just files, but the backups completed successfully. I fixed the original VTL and pointed NBU back at it and the backups are completing without issue once again. Thanks for the help! yes