cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gathering client info via CMD

nbu_noob
Level 3

Hey Folks,

I have be searching the interwebs far and wide and i can’t  seem to gather the info i am looking for, i assume someone else has done what I am about to describe and has a better way than the manual way:)

What I am currently doing is moving my from agent backups to VADP backups, we currently just have agents on all of our clients in VMware and back the up that way, we are slowly moving one cluster at a time to VADP backups, once they have backed up for a week or so i need to remove them from their old policies  what I would like to know is, is there a way for me to easily see what policies my clients are in and remove it from the legacy policy, my big issue is we use the directive DNS name in the VADP query and that does not match the name of the client in the legacy policy as one is capitalized FQDN and the other is lowercase client name with a -b for backup interface.

I can’t seem to find a command that will let me easily display the client info or that will list all the policies the client is in, I think I could be out of luck due to the case difference, but would love to see if anyone has done something similar and has a solution.

Thanks for you time.

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified
Not sure what exactly you are looking for? If you are looking for a list of client names that exist in policies, try this: bpplclients -allunique -U

Will_Restore
Level 6

Right. 

bpplclients | grep -v "-b$"

will list all clients except your new ones.

nbu_noob
Level 3

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for the comments, I want to start by saying when I described this in my head it made perfect sense but once on paper it’s a bit muddy :), I am going to try to explain it better.

So what I am trying to do is remove all my agent backup clients that are spread across multiple policies that I am now protecting with VADP backups.

So let’s say I have a server named "blat" his client name in my legacy agent based backup policy is "blat-b" and his name in the VADP backup is BLAT.NEWB.COM, what I am trying to do is find an easy way to list all the policies "blat" is in and remove him from his legacy policy, now I know I can do this in the GUI but I am going to try to write a script that can do most of the work for me since I have a few thousand clients to do this work on.

Will_Restore
Level 6

OK, you have the list of clients

bpplclients | grep -v "-b$"

now find which policies for each client

bppllist -byclient client_name | grep "^CLASS"

then delete the client from the policy

bpplclients policy_name -delete client_name