cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Information Required

Shekhar_D
Level 4
Certified

I required answer for following questions?

1.How do i assigne the dedicated drive for Restore in Netbackup master server.

2.Where i can find the logs for error code EC-156 in netbackup.

3.How do i configured the dedicated drive 1 or 2 drives for single policy ?

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

1. Config total amount of drives in Storage Units to one less than total amount of available tape drives.
This will leave one tape drive free for restores. (Please note this can be any one of the tape drives - not one specific drive.

2. The NBU 7.1 and 7.5 Status Code Reference Guide (see Handy NBU Links in my signature for links to NBU manuals) gives you this info:
bpfis log on the client.

3.Only way is config dedicated drive(s) as different density, which will require separate Storage Unit.
Specify this STU in the policy.
Remember that different density drive(s) and STU will require same density media. This means that you will have to dedicate specific tapes for use with this STU and drive(s).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

1. Config total amount of drives in Storage Units to one less than total amount of available tape drives.
This will leave one tape drive free for restores. (Please note this can be any one of the tape drives - not one specific drive.

2. The NBU 7.1 and 7.5 Status Code Reference Guide (see Handy NBU Links in my signature for links to NBU manuals) gives you this info:
bpfis log on the client.

3.Only way is config dedicated drive(s) as different density, which will require separate Storage Unit.
Specify this STU in the policy.
Remember that different density drive(s) and STU will require same density media. This means that you will have to dedicate specific tapes for use with this STU and drive(s).

Shekhar_D
Level 4
Certified

What exact diffrence on policy attributes like "Follow NFS" and "Cross mount Points" option ?

Just for my information

William_Jansen_
Level 5
Partner Certified

Hi Shekhar

For new questions, you should create new forum posts to help with people searching for similar questions. In my experiance. Follow NFS, is typically for linux systems that have NFS mount points from other system/storage devices.

Follow cross mount points is typically for Windows systems that have a mountpoint on a drive. For instance you might have a D: drive that is one disk and a mount point on d:\FileShare\NewData, if you would like to protect the mount point it is advisable to have it ticked if your selection list contains 'd:' for instance.

You should be able to find a full explanation in the Admin guides, that you can find in Marianne's Handy NBU links, at the bottom of her signature.

Remember to mark solutions [one per forum post, also a reason to have a topic per question].  Please pick the appropriate answer to your ORIGINAL question.

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

Further to Williams post below, additionally there's a '[Help]' button that covers (probably) all aspects of the GUI:

Follow NFS:

The Follow NFS attribute specifies whether NetBackup is to back up or archive any NFS-mounted files that are named in the backup selection list. Or, by the user in the case of a user backup or archive. Clear the check box to prevent the backup or archive of NFS mounted files.

Note: The Follow NFS attribute applies only to UNIX clients in certain policy types. NetBackup allows it to be selected in those instances only.
(also includes additional "Related topics": Notes on Follow NFS, Advantages & Disadvantages of the Follow NFS attribute)

Cross Mount Points:

The Cross mount points attribute controls whether NetBackup crosses file system boundaries during a backup on UNIX clients.

•Select Cross mount points to have NetBackup back up all files and directories in the selected path, regardless of the file system. For example, if you specify root (/) as the file path, NetBackup backs up root (/) and all files and directories under root in the tree.

NetBackup specifically excludes mapped directories even if Follow NFS and Cross mount points are enabled. To back up mapped directories, include the directories in the file list.

•Clear Cross mount points for NetBackup to back up only the files that are in the same file system as the selected file path. Prohibit NetBackup from crossing mount points to back up root (/) without backing up all the file systems that are mounted on root. (For example, /usr and /home.)

•Do not cross mount points to back up a media server that uses mount points to any disk storage that contains backup images. If the policy crosses mount points, the NetBackup backup images that reside on that disk storage are backed up. The NetBackup BasicDisk disk type and the Enterprise Disk Option disk types use mount points for disk storage.

Note: The following information applies only to UNIX clients.