cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General connectivity troubleshooting (status 23,24,25,58, often 6 )

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

General connectivity troubleshooting (status 24,25,58 and often database error 6 too)

Check forward & reverse name lookup between master, media & client with nslookup

Create bcpd folder on the client

run bpclntcmd -self and bpclntcmd -pn on the client, the -pn option should give a reponse from the master

Run bptestbpcd -client <clientname> -debug from master & media servers, they should give status 0

if the bptestbcpd give a status different from 0 check the bpcd log on the client and firewall opennings

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue
14 REPLIES 14

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Very good advice Michael!

You may want to submit this (and other 'just sharing info' posts) as Blogs here on Connect?

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Will create it as a blog too, a though is there a way these can be made sticky so they show up in the top of list under the NetBackup forum ?

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Marianne

Seems only the Community Admin can do that. 
Please send a PM to Admin Eileen.

t_jadliwala
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Thanks for the post its helpful.

Michael_G_Ander
Level 6
Certified

Glad it is found helpful

RISSOULY_Abdelh
Level 4

thanks for sharing, just wanna add that satus 58 can also occurs if you have many Media servers and one of them is not listed in "server" registry key localed under : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Veritas\Netbackup\CurrentVersion\Config

Marianne

Absent SERVER entry will result in Status 59.

RISSOULY_Abdelh
Level 4

Master server side or Client server Side ?

i mean if one media server is not listed in the "server" regietry entry of Netbackup client, status 58 may occurs

ROHIT_KUMAR_AGA
Level 3
Certified

Error code 58 occurs most of the time when there is connectivity issue between master/media and client server. 

ping <client_server> from master/media server and vice-versa

telnet <client_server> bpcd from master/media server and vice-versa

If ping is happening then routing need to be checked and if telnet is not successful then check if netbackup is installed on server. If Netbackup is installed then sometimes only restarting Netbackup services will resolve the telnet issue.

Sometimes incorrect/incomplete entries in /usr/openv/netbackup/bp.conf file also results in error code 58.

Born2rise
Level 4

Michael,

There is some issue in backup environment we have centralized master server and dedicated media server which are located at multiple site and media server are connected with master server through WAN but no client has connectivity to master.

Not able backed up 5 - 6 windows 2003 physical server.Backup gets failed after writing some data with error 23,25,13 and 24 on these servers and backup is running fine on rest of the server(more than 100). There is no firewall.

I am queries that i have got mutiple post in which it is suggested to make connectivity between master server and client. But as per symantec, i do not think so.

Can you help in this senario how to trouble shoot this failure.

Prem_Kishan_Kat
Level 2
Certified

Hi Bron2rise,

More info is required (details for activity monitor, bpcd log), but let me know if all those physical servers are in the same policy ?

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

Hi Bron2rise, please post your reported issue as a separate post for proper toubleshooting/reference. Thank you

Ahmed_Ghayeb
Level 2

Hi guys,

I got no response when tried runnning bpclntcmd -pn on the client, what do you think that means?

Regards,

Ahmed

Deepak_Irani1
Level 3

Hi Ahmed,

There may be issue with name resolution. Please run nslookup to check if server is able to resolve name.