cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General question regarding policies

kevindrys
Level 3

I'm currently attempting to create backups for a SQL Server 2012 server, I have the NetBackup MS SQL Client installed and working.

My question is in regards to configuring Full, Differential, and Transaction Log backups. Do I need to create three (3) batch scripts, one each for the types of backups I want to run, then create 3 separate policies, each one referencing it's respective batch script.

In the NetBackup admin guide for SQL Server, it states that multiple batch scripts can be listed under Backup Selections and that it would run them in order from top to bottom. This would make sense in that I could pick the client machine and have the Full, Differential, and Transaction Log batch scripts listed there, but I cannot figure out how you would create a schedule for each batch script.

Referencing a response to another question in this forum, it appears that you do create a separate policy that would reference it's own batch script, ye this is confusing since I don't know if by instance they're referring to a SQL Server. Because I would think you could just list additional clients for each policy you want the backup script to run on:

Indeed, i am integrating netbackup 7.5.0.4 and I have create three policies for each mssql instances:

- an hourly (every 3h) FULL transaction log policy (excluding system database from .bch script)

- a weekly FULL databases (sys/user) policy

- a daily Differential/Incremental policy (excluding system database from .bch script)

You can also manage a specific policy for system database only

Thanks in advance for any insight offered!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Multiple batch files added, all batch files will be kicked in each backup schedule. So you need to create 3 policies - one for full backup batch, one for incremental batch, and one for transaction log batch.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6

Multiple batch files added, all batch files will be kicked in each backup schedule. So you need to create 3 policies - one for full backup batch, one for incremental batch, and one for transaction log batch.

maurijo
Level 6
Partner Accredited

What Yasuhisa says is correct. Also when creating those batch scripts check inside them for capital letters and if the names are the same as in the nbu console.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

A batch file for each type, a policy for each one .. but also a policy for each retention period you need too.

So if you do a daily full, weekly full, monthly full etc. you will need a policy for each as the retention is taken from the default application schedule and not the schedule you set to actually make it run.

Hoep this helps

kevindrys
Level 3

Everyone, thanks for your advice and suggestions. As a result, I have a much clearer understanding of how I should configure my backups.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Once you have all the info you need please remember to close the thread using the "Mark as solution" or "Request split solution" options - this helps others looking for similar information in the future

Thanks