cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting error Unable to Resolve DNS on 'SLES1' while trying for backup selection on Netbackup 7.5

hariisish
Not applicable

Using Windows 2K8 servr as master server and SLES 11 as media server . when I am trying for Backup selection getting error as 

"Unable to Resolve DNS on 'SLES1'"

Please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Brook_Humphrey
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Regarding this what type of DNS servers are you using?

Windows? or?

If windows do you have more than one domain?

If you do have more then one domain how do you have them set up? Did you make sure to set up reverse dns also?

Having said this I have usually found that windows DNS does not seem to propogate properly to anything outside of the domain that is the lniux box is in. 

What happens is that when doing the handhsake it comes back as shortname but the windows shortname may not be propgating properly it will try to look in the current domain and fail to find the system in the current domain and then it will fail.

Make sure that reverse dns is also set up correctly as this may help but in the past I have ended up putting an entry for the system that I needed to back up in the current domain and then everything works as intended.

Thanks

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

You need to provide more information.

In general name resolution need to be in place for for both master , media and client.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/dns-name-resolution/

Brook_Humphrey
Level 4
Employee Accredited Certified

Regarding this what type of DNS servers are you using?

Windows? or?

If windows do you have more than one domain?

If you do have more then one domain how do you have them set up? Did you make sure to set up reverse dns also?

Having said this I have usually found that windows DNS does not seem to propogate properly to anything outside of the domain that is the lniux box is in. 

What happens is that when doing the handhsake it comes back as shortname but the windows shortname may not be propgating properly it will try to look in the current domain and fail to find the system in the current domain and then it will fail.

Make sure that reverse dns is also set up correctly as this may help but in the past I have ended up putting an entry for the system that I needed to back up in the current domain and then everything works as intended.

Thanks