cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting "unable to initialize nbfsd" on an AD granular backup to linux media server

LAToro
Level 4

I am running NB 6.5.6, using a linux master and windows media server. An Active Directory granular backup is currently setup to backup to the windows media server. I need to migrate that to a linux media server.

I created a DSU on the linux media server, and according to a document I found, "when backing up to a UNIX or Linux media server, no further configuration is necessary". Yet, I am getting the aforementioned error in the Activity Monitor. 

Current setup to Windows media server goes to C:\AD_BKP

I need the backup to go to /usr/openv/AD_BKP on a RH media server. I added that directory to the exports file, mountable by all.

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

LAToro
Level 4

I decided to turn on verbose logging for nbfsd on the client, and behold, there was a "gethostbyname" error, trying to mount using the short name for the media server. I had to configure all the NB clients/servers using FQDNs due to an "ideosyncracy" in the way DNS is configured here. Not sure why its using the short name, as everything from a NB perspective is using the FQDN (else I'd get a 59 error code).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

MOHAMED_PATEL
Level 5
Partner Accredited Certified

There was aprevious post by Zahid...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/cannot-start-nbfsd

LAToro
Level 4

Thanks for the reply Mohammed, but the link you referenced refers to a granular backup to a Windows media server; I am trying to backup to a RH Linux media server, that does not run NFS server service.

LAToro
Level 4

I decided to turn on verbose logging for nbfsd on the client, and behold, there was a "gethostbyname" error, trying to mount using the short name for the media server. I had to configure all the NB clients/servers using FQDNs due to an "ideosyncracy" in the way DNS is configured here. Not sure why its using the short name, as everything from a NB perspective is using the FQDN (else I'd get a 59 error code).