cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Global Exclude List

jacksors
Level 4
I am running Netbackup 6.5.4 on Windows and have a need to exclude a directory for a management agent that has been deployed to every server.

I'd like to not have to edit the properties of every client, but I can't find a global setting that would allow me to push this to all clients.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

This is from one of Andy Welburn posts : https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/exclude-list-0

He is using bpsetconfig/bpgetconfig to do the jobs - it's require you to write a batch script . There is a tech note the command  A method for centrally managing exclude and include list for UNIX and Linux clients under NetBacku.... But it works on windows  also.

<quote>

Having just had a little play with the bpgetconfig/bpsetconfig commands you are going to have to be very careful or very clever with this. If you try & use the bpsetconfig just to add another entry into your windows clients' exclude list then please be aware that it will replace all existing exclude list entries:

eg:
To show current settings:
# bpgetconfig -M <client>  |  grep "^Exclude = "
Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\*.lock
Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bprd.d\*.lock
Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bpsched.d\*.lock
Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackupDB\data\*
Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\Volmgr\misc\*

Format of 'file':
# cat EXCLUDE
Exclude = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\example.txt

To update settings:
# bpsetconfig -h <client> EXCLUDE

To show updated settings:

i.e. all the original one's have now been 'deleted'

For EACH client you would have to determine the current exclude list settings & cat to a file & then ADD your new entry to that file, then use the combined file to update each client

e.g.
# bpgetconfig -M <client>  |  grep "^Exclude = " > EXCLUDE
# echo "Exclude = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\example.txt" >> EXCLUDE

Just test it out on a test server or your PC (if it's a client), until you're comfortable with what it does before potentially destroying all your exclude lists if you get it wrong. I would ensure you have a file of each clients current settings - just in case!!

</quote>

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Andy_Welburn
Level 6
Your best bet would be to highlight all clients (or maybe smaller groups thereof) in the Host Properties/Clients area of the GUI & just add your exclude there.

Sriram
Level 6
Create the bp.conf for all the server in your master with the exclude_list you need.

Take a backup of those bp.conf text files.

write a batch script to use bprestore command to restore the corresponding bp.conf text file to the correct client

done

isn't that easy :)

Sriram
Level 6

Oh I'm sorry it was a reading error from me.  Actually i dont intended to post that.

I was actually thinking of a way for your question, it got posted by accident.

Anonymous
Not applicable
See my Idea which includes a centrally managed method symantec published. Its not pretty but lots of calls for this to be implemented in the product.

Heres hoping NetBackup 7.0 has it inside.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

This is from one of Andy Welburn posts : https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/exclude-list-0

He is using bpsetconfig/bpgetconfig to do the jobs - it's require you to write a batch script . There is a tech note the command  A method for centrally managing exclude and include list for UNIX and Linux clients under NetBacku.... But it works on windows  also.

<quote>

Having just had a little play with the bpgetconfig/bpsetconfig commands you are going to have to be very careful or very clever with this. If you try & use the bpsetconfig just to add another entry into your windows clients' exclude list then please be aware that it will replace all existing exclude list entries:

eg:
To show current settings:
Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\*.lock
Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bprd.d\*.lock
Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\bpsched.d\*.lock
Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackupDB\data\*
Exclude = C:\Program Files\Veritas\Volmgr\misc\*

Format of 'file':
# cat EXCLUDE

To update settings:

To show updated settings:

i.e. all the original one's have now been 'deleted'

For EACH client you would have to determine the current exclude list settings & cat to a file & then ADD your new entry to that file, then use the combined file to update each client

e.g.
# bpgetconfig -M <client>  |  grep "^Exclude = " > EXCLUDE
# echo "Exclude = C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\example.txt" >> EXCLUDE

Just test it out on a test server or your PC (if it's a client), until you're comfortable with what it does before potentially destroying all your exclude lists if you get it wrong. I would ensure you have a file of each clients current settings - just in case!!

</quote>