cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP SL3000 NBU 6.0

Vicente_Fukuda
Level 4

Hi there

We got a big problem: our new SL3000 is not working with NBU 6.0 MP4, NBU can see both library and drives not together but separetely, so drives are shown as standalone.  We downloaded last mappings and zoning is correct. We 've tried both drivers for our 4 IBM LTO4 tape drives from IBM and Symantec (we thought these drivers were the problem) but same situation. We submitted a case and Symantec did a Webex. They say that the problem was the library. Our engineer ran the command  C:\Program Files\VERITAS\Volmgr\bin\ scan -changer

*********************** SDT_ALL     ************************

------------------------------------------------------------
Device Name  : ""
Passthru Name: ""
Volume Header: ""
Port: 3; Bus: 0; Target: 0; LUN: 0
Inquiry    : "STK     SL3000          2.00"
Vendor ID  : "STK     "
Product ID : "SL3000          "
Product Rev: "2.00"
Serial Number: "571000200119"
WWN          : ""
WWN Id Type  : 0
Device Identifier: ""
Device Type    : SDT_CHANGER
NetBackup Robot Type: 8
Removable      : Yes
Device Supports: SCSI-5
Number of Drives : 0
Number of Slots  : 0

Number of Media Access Ports: 26
Flags : 0x0
Reason: 0x0

Symantec said this is a problem of hardware communication (robot, drives and slots). But our expert in libraries could access the SL3000 via CLI (hyperterminal) and he could move cartridges from slots and mount them to drives, so according to him, hardware is OK.

Suggestions are welcome

Regards

Vicente 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Zak_Meekins_2
Level 6

Hey, I had the exact same problem with my SL3000. Netbackup could see each piece but al the drives came up stanalone and I could not do anything about it. Well, it turns out that it is a license that you have to put n the SL3000 itself. These libraries are so new that many times the instal engieer does not know how or what to install. I believe that you need to have them add your slot license on the library itself. Then you will be good to go.

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

In the NB Admin Console Media & Device Management section, can you right-click the drive(s) to "change" it(them), tick the box 'Drive is in robotic library' then select the correct library from the drop-down list?

Omar_Villa
Level 6
Employee

also you can update each drive with tpconfig

(Update drive)
   tpconfig -update -drive <drvindex>
            [-type <drvtype>] [-path <drivepath>] [-noverify]
            [-vhname <optical_volume_header_drive_name>]
            [-newasciiname <asciidrvname>] [-shared [yes|no]]
            [-cleanfreq <hours>] [-comment <comment>] [-drstatus [UP|DOWN]]
            [-robot <robnum> -robtype <robtype>]
            [-robdrnum <robdrvnum> | -VendorDrvName <vendor_drive_name>]
            [-ACS <acsnum> -LSM <lsmnum> -PANEL <panelnum> -DRIVE <drivenum>]

i.e.

tpconfig -update -drive 1 -type hcart -path /dev/rmt/1cbn -newasciiname DRIVE1 -drstatus UP -robot 1 -robtype TLD -rbdrnum 1

just change the numbers per drive restart ltid and you'll be fine.

regards

Vicente_Fukuda
Level 4

Hi there

Thanks for replies. Even adding manually drives to SL3000 library, NBU cannot scan cartridges or drives. If I issue robtest, there is a iostat error so I cannot  move cartridges between slots or drives.

Suggestions?

Regards

Vicente

Zak_Meekins_2
Level 6

Hey, I had the exact same problem with my SL3000. Netbackup could see each piece but al the drives came up stanalone and I could not do anything about it. Well, it turns out that it is a license that you have to put n the SL3000 itself. These libraries are so new that many times the instal engieer does not know how or what to install. I believe that you need to have them add your slot license on the library itself. Then you will be good to go.

Hope this helps.