cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HOW TO migrate catalog from master server to new independent master server

onur_ekinci
Level 3
We have Dell 1600 series server which windows 2000 advanced server with SP4 runs on(SERVER1) . We use Netbackup Business server 4.5.we use this server as a media server as well.
We have decided to upgrade netbackup to Netbackup 5.1 .
We installed Netbackup 5.1 on different server(SERVER 2) as a master server and a media server.
We backup catalog on SERVER 1.
After that we connect the Storagetek L20 unit to SERVER2.
We thought we could migrate catalog to new master server(SERVER2). I followed the instructions writen in TroubleshootGuide.I stopped the services;
-database manager
-device manager
-request manager
-volume manager
except client service.

I run the command: bprecover -r -m 090030 -d hcart

but there is no any reaction in the robot library. After a while on the command promt I do not get any error.It seems the command works.But there is no move in library.
I restarted SERVER2 and than open Netbackup Admin console and stop the services mentioned above.The command: bprecover -l -m 090030 -d hcart worked.
But it worked only once.I restarted servers several times I did the same things(stopping services).Unfortunately bprecover -r -m 090030 -d hcart didnt work.

HOW CAN I MIGRATE CATALOG TO NEW INDEPENDENT MASTER SERVER?? REALLY THANK YOU.
5 REPLIES 5

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Did you register the medium before running bprecover?
To use "bprecover -r -m", you cannot stop Netbackup services, except NetBackup Request Manager service and NetBackup Database Manager service.

But another bigger problem exist. Is new server's name same with old one? If not, you can not do this. Catalog Backup contains server's name.
If you want to keep image catalog only, do import from media.

onur_ekinci
Level 3
If you mean "inventory media "with registering media I did it.
What do you mean with image catalog?
I just want to migrate policies,volume pools,which backup on which media.
And how can I do import media if I just want to migrate image catalog??

If I want to whole catalog backup migration, is it work changing server name and then run bprecover command and then changing server name back??Thank you so much.

patrickkuah
Level 6
Hi,

I have a procedure on based on version 3.x, i go thru the steps and it should be applicable for your environment.

It is about 3 pages so put your email here so that i can send it to you.

cheeers!!!
patrickkuah

onur_ekinci
Level 3
firstly really sorry for late reply,Patrick.
My e-mail: onurekinci1978@yahoo.com
Thank you

patrickkuah
Level 6
sent ;)