cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP MSL 2024 support in Netbackup 7.7.x

tbhatty1
Level 2

We are looking to use HP MSL 2024 tape library with Fiber Channel for a backup solution. In the HW compatiblity list, I see the following

MSL2024 - Fibre
Channel
HP^^^^^^MSL^G3^Series Multi LUN TLD "Supported with the MSL Library Extender."
This library is supported with NetBackup 5200 Series and 5300 Series Appliances.

Does it mean that, NB is supported only when the MSL library extender option is used, OR, it supports the basic MSL 2024 plus the MSL library extender?

2 REPLIES 2

Systems_Team
   VIP   

Hi Tbhatty1,

I can't download the hardware SCL at the moment (I replied to your issue with attachments a few minutes ago), but I have had a look at the HP doco for your library and the extender.

I would say after reading this (although the SCL statement doesn't make it clear), that it is supported either with or without it.  So long as you have the fibre channel model, you're good to connect it to the appliance.  With the extender, it joins two libraries together and it states - "No additional external power or communication cabling is necessary".  Have a look at this link (page 7 has a section about the library extender):

https://www.hpe.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04154359.pdf?ver=38

There are some caveats, like you cannot join two MSL2024's together with it, if you use it with a MSL2024 then that unit has to be the lower unit, and the extended library does not support partitioning.

Hope this helps,

Steve

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

My interpretation is that it is 'also' supported with the MSL Library Extender. 
Not 'only'...

Similar to the support statement for NBU Appliances.