cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handling bar code changes when migrating to new tape library

sclind
Level 6

We have a Netbackup 7.1 server on AIX 6.1 connected to an IBM TS3310 library. This library reads the last six characters of the barcode so barcodes in the format ‘AA1234L4’ are in Netbackup as ‘1234L4’. This is the way we’ve been running for the last year.

We have been able to attach a Storagetek L700E library to the server and insert some active and expired tapes into the new library.  It presents only the first six characters of the bar code to Netbackup (and so far I don’t think there is a way to change that).  So when we inventory the robot the tapes get added to Netbackup as ‘AA1234’ (i.e., Netbackup thinks this is a new tape).

When a backup starts at scratch tape ‘AA1234’ gets mounted and Netbackup (apparently) finds the discrepancy between the external barcode and the internal label on the tape.  We get the message “incorrect media found in drive index x, expected AA1234, found 1234L4, FREEZING AA1234”.

Unless there is a way to have the Storagetek L700E read the last six characters of the barcode I need to find some way to start moving tapes as they expire over to the new library.  I figure once they expire I can delete the 'old' name from Netbackup.  But won’t I still have a problem when Netbackup mounts ‘AA1234’ on the new library and sees the tape header still says ‘1234L4’?  Is there some way I will have to physically format the tape so Netbackup thinks these are totally new tapes – just like they were newly purchased?

11 REPLIES 11

Yasuhisa_Ishika
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

I'm not sure how to let L700E report last-six or eight barcode characters to the host.

If you w to use media woth new media ID(first six chars of barcode) and don't need to keep data in these media, please try to label it(select media in GUI, right click, label). By labeling, media will be formatted with new media ID, and all data in media will be unrecoverable. Be sure to uncheck "Verify ..." checkbox when labeling.

sclind
Level 6

Yasuhisa - thanks for the reply; let me try that tomorrow.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Remember to unfreeze tapes before you try to Label them.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Removed post, as I think I'm wrong ...

Martin

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

For re-using tapes you can re-label them as suggested - the issue is for retained tapes needed to do restores

For those you would need to change the barcode as seen in NetBackup.

So for a tape that was 1234L4 and has that media id you need to change the barcode to AA1234 - do this using:

vmchange -barcode AA1234 -m 1234L4

Maybe you could set up a script for this

Any that have already been put in th elibrary would need to be deleted in NetBackup first, make the changes and then put them back in the library and all will be good

Hope this helps

sclind
Level 6

Is there any reason I should not be able to have both tape libraries (and robots) running at the same time during the migration?  While we never got any error messages pointing to licensing, we were also not able to get both libraries operational at the same time.  It makes me wonder whether we are restricted to one robot. 

Is that one of the things our license keys control?

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Licensing is not enforced - as far as I recall you pay per tape drive and not per robot.  I believe having both robots online will easy the migration between the different barcode formats. However is's paramount eject and insert of media is performed in a controlled manner.

What would not work when a second robot was attached ?.  Did you verify robtest worked before configuring it in Netbackup. If robtest works you are sure connectivity is OK.

How to use robtest commands from the command line with no user intervention required

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH30817

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

There is no option to change the way the L700 report the barcode label

Personaly I think it a fault other vendors report the type (L4) to the backup application. Is a field reserved for robots to know the type of tapes so media X is not mounted on type Y tape drives.

sclind
Level 6

Nicolai - at this point I couldnt tell you what the failure was; there was so much going on.  But next time we try the cutover we'll make sure to do the robtest first.

Thanks!

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

One possible cause that I have seen is where tapes are taken out of the old library without the Knowledge of NetBackup and put into the new one.

An inventory on the new one would then fail as the media is believed to already be elsewhere

You also need to be careful with barcode rules, media id generation rules, library setting (short and long barcodes) and tape drive density (old library shows as HCARt2, new one as HCART3) so old tapes will not work in the new library

But in answer to your question there is no reason that a Media Server cannot have more than one fully functioning tape library attached to it

Hope this helps

#edit# just realised which thread this is having skimmed the end of it - so you already know about media id and barcode rules !

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Thanks for the info. If you bump into issues next time - just cry for help here on Connect cheeky