cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having one concern regarding restore

Arkya
Level 4

Just wanted to know one technical stuff regarding restore of windows server. Sometime we came across few situations where we had to restore some application related xml/exe files from a windows server however we were not able to find those in normal backup. After further investigation we found that those files are getting backed up in System state and after restoring those files we are able to retrieve the required files.

So my question is whenever we have to restore these kind of files individually do we have only the option to restore it through system state? As it will need to have production outage and we have go back from current time every time after the restore. Can it be fixed or any workaround for it?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Extract from  TECH76997 : 

The determination about which files and folder are classified into Shadow Copy Components happens outside of NetBackup.  If you feel a file or folder should or should not be filtered into Shadow Copy Components, you need to engage Microsoft to discuss options for modifying the file list.

As long as files are filtered into SCC, you cannot restore individual files.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Which version of Windows?  And NetBackup?

This might not be easy to answer.  As one would have to also read through Microsoft's own published behaviours.

For example, Windows instructs third party backup applications (like NetBackup) to skip/exclude certain files and folders - by the presence of the registry values located at this registry key:

reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\BackupRestore\FilesNotToBackup"

And not only this, but one would have to determine what/which components of Windows it is that Windows considers to be part of System_State:.  Which varies from version to version.  And I'm not aware of a registry key which lists these components.

So, some of what you want to know is included or excluded by file system backups, and some of what you want to know is included or excluded by a System_State backup - so I think you're going to have to do some reading of Microsoft materials to work out, for any given version of Windows, what is each these four lists:

1) What's included in a file system backup?

2) What's excluded in a file system backup?  (which should be what's listed by the reg key above).

3) What's included by a System_State: backup?

4) What's excluded by a System_State: backup?

And it gets more complicated.  There are several other keys related to backup and restore.  So, some files get backed-up, but don't get restored.  Hmmm.  See, it's not easy.

And, more complicated yet, in that the NetBackup Client, in my experience, also skips some files itself in certain situations (policy types and/or directive types), but I'm not aware of a definitive list.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

There is a tech note excatly about that.  if files are part of system state, there are there for a good reason. You can restore files form system state individual, you don't have to restore the entire system state. 

How to tell which files are filtered into Volume Shadow Copy Components

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH76997

Arkya
Level 4

Sorry for replying lately,

Thanks for your replies

sdo we are using netbackup 7.6.0.2 and the servers which are under concerns are win 2003 and win 2008 servers..

Nicolai,

I have already checked the note you provided..

Just want to know to restore those files individually without restoring the whole system state.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

As you know Windows 2003 support from Microsoft ends very soon.

I didn't understand this question: "Just want to know to restore those files individually without restoring the whole system state."...   which files do you think you want, or need, to restore individually?

Arkya
Level 4

sdo,

The files which I have already mentioned in my first post.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Extract from  TECH76997 : 

The determination about which files and folder are classified into Shadow Copy Components happens outside of NetBackup.  If you feel a file or folder should or should not be filtered into Shadow Copy Components, you need to engage Microsoft to discuss options for modifying the file list.

As long as files are filtered into SCC, you cannot restore individual files.