cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello every one, am trying to edit .cmd files

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

Hello every one, am trying to deploy this notification on my master server windows 2003, SP1. But having problem editing and saving the .cmd extension. Does any one know how i can successfully edit and save the .cmd files? In windows 2008, this wasnt the case. Thank you.

#move to its own thread for you#

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

OK - very strange - i have not come across that issue when using notepad (obviously word wrap) except issue with user rights

Maybe copy the file back to your PC and try it there and then copy it back once done - maybe something specific to the server itself

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Moved to you own thread for you ...

You should be able to right click the .cmd file and select "edit"

They should then open in notepad and allow you to edit them, after which you can just select "save" to save it.

If you have any form of user access control in operation then open notepad first using the "run as administrator" and then browse to the .cmd file in question (making sire notepad shows all files) and open it that way - this then gives you the rights to edit and save it as the original file

Hope this helps

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

Mark, actually the issue here is saving the file after editing. when i click save, the file ended up dis-organized. I went through the guide and unchecked wordrap as instructed. But the problem of saving still existed. Does any one have idea how to go about this? thank you.

xlloyd
Level 2
Partner Accredited

Hi, sometimes I find notepad completely throws my files into disarray depending on what I created the file in. Try opening using wordpad. Also, my favourite text editor is notepad++

http://notepad-plus-plus.org/

This may help, let me know!

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

OK - very strange - i have not come across that issue when using notepad (obviously word wrap) except issue with user rights

Maybe copy the file back to your PC and try it there and then copy it back once done - maybe something specific to the server itself

Hope this helps

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Try to use Wordpad instead of Notepad.

I agree with Mark - never experienced issues like yours using Notepad.

Dollypee
   VIP    Certified

I have been able to make it work. I made use of UNC to connect to the server from my workstation which is windows7 and re-arrange the file using the notepad on my workstation. Thank you all for your prompt input. I love this community..wink