cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Importing Media into Catalog

Ben_Liebowitz
Level 2
I'm new to Netbackup 5.1 so please bare with me.

I had issues two months ago and contacted Quantum Tech Support for a problem with my tape library. The tech walked me through a few steps in Netbackup and had me create a new library in Netbackup. Doing this then posed a problem as the unit was no longer recognizing any of my media as it was all assigned to the old Robot. I then deleted all my media, and both Robots, added the original robot back and re-inventoried it and that solved my problem at the time.

However, I now need to restore a file from back then and I'm unable to because the catalog doesn't show the tape as having ever been assigned. I know the data is on one of three tapes.

Can someone tell me how I can import these tapes into the catalog?

We're in the process of migrating from Legato to Netbackup. In Legato it would just be a matter of scanning the tape into the media index using the scanner command.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

- Ben LiebowitzMessage was edited by:
Ben Liebowitz
3 REPLIES 3

Stumpr2
Level 6
You can follow the wizard available in the GUI under "NetBackup Management" or do it via command line.

This is an example of how to do a phase one and phase two import from the command line.
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/240402.htm
Phase1
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimport -create_db_info -id D0003 -server megatron -L /tmp/bpimport.phase1 &

Generate image list:
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimport -PM -s 01/01/71 00:00:00 -e 09/20/01 23:59:59 -id D0003 | awk '{print $5}' > /tmp/import_list

Phase2
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/admincmd/bpimport -Bidfile /tmp/import_list -L /tmp/bpimport.phase2 &

If you need help on the usage of bpimport then you can check the man page or if you have a specific question then please ask and I will see if I can help you.Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

Ben_Liebowitz
Level 2
Thanks Bob!

I had to adapt these commands for Windows instead of Unix but it wasn't hard to do and worked perfectly!!

Thanks again!!

TempoVisitor
Level 4
Next time you move all your tapes to a different robot if its broken ... juste go in the GUI, select all the volumes under Media entry : MOVE OUT.
This tells the database that the tapes are outside.
When they are in the new lib : robot inventory.
You'll see the tapes are now in the new lib.

you can not make the move from one lib to another in one step, you have to tell NBU base the tapes have been outside between the move.