cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help - Very old version of Netbackup (5.1)

mike2244
Level 1

Hello all . I need help. I work for Bombardier Aerospace. We have a very old version of Netbackup (5.1). We need to retrieve important data that was saved on that version (tapes). I understand that the version is very very old and long passed the end of life date but we still need to retrieve the data. 

Is there someone out there who can help? 

4 REPLIES 4

X2
   VIP   

@mike2244You have not provided details of the environment. Neither do we know if the backup images on the tape (from version 5.1) are still valid or already expired.

Without many details, I can only ask you if you have tried this: https://www.veritas.com/content/support/en_US/article.100017201

NB: I have never used verison 5.1 and I'm assuming that you have the hardware to read the tapes used for creating the backup.

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@mike2244 

I agree with @X2  - a bit more detail of your environment would certainly be helpful.

Which OS on the NBU Master/media server?
Is the environment up and running with tape drive or tape library attached and all NBU services/processes running?
Where is the media that you need to restore from?
Do you know the basics of how to open the GUI and the BAR (Backup, Archive and Restore) interface?

Michal_Mikulik1

Hello,

one note - you dont necessarily need 5.1 NetBackup to read 5.1 backups. Generally, higher versions of NetBackup should read images created by lower versions.

Another thing (in addition to supported HW existence) is type of these data and its ability to be restored onto today's systems. Filesystems should be fine, but databases are sensitive to versions change. For example, you cannot restore MSSQL 2000 DB backups onto MSSQL 2008 or higher.

Regards

Michal

StoneRam-Simon
Level 6
Do you have a working NBU environment (any version)..

How many tapes do you need to recover?

You can simply import the tapes if you have compatible drives... If you don't what is the media? I have ability to read and convert types and even convert between backup vendor formats.

If there are many tapes recovery of the catalog may speed things up, normally this would require the same nbu version, however I can also provide a solution to merge catalogs from ANY nbu version (4.5 or higher) which may help.