cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help needed again with nbdeployutil

Amaan
Level 6

Help need again. I am getting below error while running the utility. Here is the error output:

F:\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>nbdeployutil.exe --gather
NetBackup Deployment Utility, version 7.0.1_EEB10_PET2326556_SET2391770.2012.0222
Gathering license deployment information...
  Discovered master server Master30
`bpstulist` stderr: bpstulist: unrecognized option -json_compact
`bpstulist` stderr: USAGE: bpstulist -label storage_unit_label[,storage_unit_label] [-L|-l|-U|-show_available|-lsa]
`bpstulist` stderr:                         [-g|-go] [-verbose] [-M master_server[,master_server]
`bpstulist` stderr:        bpstulist -group storage_unit_group [-verbose] [-M master_server[,master_server]]
`bpstulist` status: 20
`tpconfig` stderr: Usage: bptestbpcd [-host hostname] [-client clientname]
`tpconfig` stderr:      [-connect_options 0|1|2 0|1|2 0|1|2|3]
`tpconfig` stderr:      [-wait_to_close seconds]
`tpconfig` stderr:      [-verbose] [-M server]
`tpconfig` stderr: invalid command parameter
`tpconfig` status: 20
`nbdevquery` stderr: Usage: bptestbpcd [-host hostname] [-client clientname]
`nbdevquery` stderr:    [-connect_options 0|1|2 0|1|2 0|1|2|3]
`nbdevquery` stderr:    [-wait_to_close seconds]
`nbdevquery` stderr:    [-verbose] [-M server]
`nbdevquery` stderr: invalid command parameter
`nbdevquery` status: 20
`nbemmcmd` stderr: Usage: bptestbpcd [-host hostname] [-client clientname]
`nbemmcmd` stderr:      [-connect_options 0|1|2 0|1|2 0|1|2|3]
`nbemmcmd` stderr:      [-wait_to_close seconds]
`nbemmcmd` stderr:      [-verbose] [-M server]
`nbemmcmd` stderr: invalid command parameter
`nbemmcmd` status: 20
`emmcmd_lh` stderr: Usage: bptestbpcd [-host hostname] [-client clientname]
`emmcmd_lh` stderr:     [-connect_options 0|1|2 0|1|2 0|1|2|3]
`emmcmd_lh` stderr:     [-wait_to_close seconds]
`emmcmd_lh` stderr:     [-verbose] [-M server]
`emmcmd_lh` stderr: invalid command parameter
`emmcmd_lh` status: 20
`nbftconfig` stderr: Usage: bptestbpcd [-host hostname] [-client clientname]
`nbftconfig` stderr:    [-connect_options 0|1|2 0|1|2 0|1|2|3]
`nbftconfig` stderr:    [-wait_to_close seconds]
`nbftconfig` stderr:    [-verbose] [-M server]
`nbftconfig` stderr: invalid command parameter
`nbftconfig` status: 20
`vault` stderr: Usage: bptestbpcd [-host hostname] [-client clientname]
`vault` stderr:         [-connect_options 0|1|2 0|1|2 0|1|2|3]
`vault` stderr:         [-wait_to_close seconds]
`vault` stderr:         [-verbose] [-M server]
`vault` stderr: invalid command parameter
`vault` status: 20
  failed bptestbpcd to 397 of 397 clients, for details see: F:\Veritas\netbackup\var\global\reports\20120615_105005_adcutil30\nbdeployutil-gather-20120615_10500
5.log
Failed to parse tpconfig data from F:\Veritas\netbackup\var\global\reports\20120615_105005_Master30\tpconfig.out
  Failed gathering for adcutil30, F:\Veritas\netbackup\var\global\reports\20120615_105005_Master30
Gather DONE
Execution time: 1 min 11 secs

Unable to gather information for the following masters:
  Master30 in directory F:\Veritas\netbackup\var\global\reports\20120615_105005_Master30

What can be reason.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Glad it is sorted for you - I was being secretive purely because I wanted Amaan to try a different binary all together if he was happy to do so.

In an earlier post - one the other thread I pointed out that the 7.0.1 EEB that I had was a different number so I had him test that one - which obviously worked perfectly.

As Chris is a Symantec Employee perhaps he could notify Support that the currently posted EEB (NB_7.0.1_ET2391770_10) may have issues and perhaps this could be checked out.

The EEB that does work for Amaan is NB_7.0.1_ET2271100_1 which does not seem to be on the support site any longer.

So I hope that clears it up for everyone - sorry for the secret squirrel but I just wanted to point him to the location of a different EBB to try out which turned out do be the solution.

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

As your previous thread is marked solved, I have spun this off into a new thread.  (Also because hopefully I have an answer :) )

Status 20 is almost always binary mismatch (trying to use command line options from one version on a slightly different version).  Your previous thread seems to indicate that you're using nbdeployutil 7.0.1 but it appears you may have never told us what your version of NetBackup was, at least on this particular discovered master.  I am guessing it may NOT be 7.0.1.  Could you double check your version file on master30 and report back with its contents?

If it turns out that that IS the case, please download the correct version of the command and try again:

Symantec NetBackup Traditional and Capacity License Deployment Utility

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH148678

Also, tell us what version of NetBackup you're running in the very first line of your very first post.  (This goes for EVERYBODY, by the way :) )

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

If I look at Amaan's other post, it seems that he is on 7.0.1 and that he has downloaded NB_7.0.1_ET2391770_10....

Amaan, we don't know if your master is W2003 or W2008?

If 2008 did you open cmd with 'Run as Administrator'?

Amaan
Level 6

Master server is win2008 R2 and i have opened command line as admin.

And NBU ver is 7.0.1 i have mentioned it in my previous thread.

Amaan
Level 6

Is anybody has any idea on this?

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

Well, we see this :

bpstulist -json_compact

If you run :

bpstulist -json_compact what happens, on my server, this is a valid command and provides output.

Martin

Amaan
Level 6

Unrecognized option:

D:\Program Files\Veritas\NetBackup\bin\admincmd>bpstulist.exe -json_compact
bpstulist: unrecognized option -json_compact
USAGE: bpstulist -label storage_unit_label[,storage_unit_label] [-L|-l|-U|-show_available|-lsa]
                        [-g|-go] [-verbose] [-M master_server[,master_server]
       bpstulist -group storage_unit_group [-verbose] [-M master_server[,master_server]]

CRZ
Level 6

Did you actually successfully install the nbdeployutil bundle, or are you just trying to run the command without having completed an installation?

The bundle contains updated versions of bpstulist, bptestbpcd and others which nbdeployutil relies on.

This completely explains the status 20, by the way - it's the "binary mismatch" I suspected up at the top of this thread!

The "stock" 7.0.1 bpstulist, for example, can't handle the -json_compact command line switch as it was introduced in 7.5 and backported for this EEB bundle.

You're going to have to either re-install, or install for the first time, the EEB following the instructions previously provided you.  You can't just run nbdeployutil on its own and expect things to work as this bundle replaces four other commands with updated versions (bpstulist, bptestbpcd, nbdevquery and bpimagelist).

Amaan
Level 6

Hi Chris,

I have followed and installed the binary which was defined to my version. I got an error when istalled the binary. https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/need-help-nbdeployutil-download

And I have been suggested to run extract command. i actually tried to istall EEB before copying nbdeployutil and after that. i tried it couple of times. Please suggest.Should I try to uninstall binary and install it again?

CRZ
Level 6

Yes, I would have to say that Mark's solution was an incomplete one which didn't resolve your original installation issue.  You need a COMPLETE installation for it to work correctly.

You will need to try installing it again.

If the re-installation fails, could you try Tim Hoke's suggestion a bit later on in that thread to try a force install?

Amaan
Level 6

I will try to uninstall (if it is possible) and try to install back with -force option. will update you guys with results.

Amaan
Level 6

I got below output when I tried to run it with force option:

C:\Users\XXXXXXXXX\Desktop\NB_7.0.1_ET2391770_10\NB_7.0.1_ET2391770_10>eebinstaller.2391770.10.AMD64.exe -force

Validating target platform...
EEB platform = <x64>
Target platform = <x64>

Validating target platform...  Successful!
Checksum of original at F:\Veritas\\\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\nbemmcmd.exe: 2806182515, Checksum of file in the installer: 1066721623
Checksum of original at F:\Veritas\\\VolMgr\bin\tpconfig.exe: 2690748557, Checksum of file in the installer: 3146196866
Checksum of original at F:\Veritas\\\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\bpflist.exe: 1331034512, Checksum of file in the installer: 198413400
Checksum of original at F:\Veritas\\\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\bpimagelist.exe: 3403280684, Checksum of file in the installer: 2129830807
Checksum of original at F:\Veritas\\\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\bppllist.exe: 2276322858, Checksum of file in the installer: 2524153911
Checksum of original at F:\Veritas\\\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\bpstulist.exe: 2088330347, Checksum of file in the installer: 2836918482
Checksum of original at F:\Veritas\\\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\bptestbpcd.exe: 4119635131, Checksum of file in the installer: 352699553
The checksum of the file " F:\Veritas\\\NetBackup\bin\admincmd\nbdeployutil.exe " is same as the one in the installer
You are trying to overwrite a binary with itself

Any idea?

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Amaan

I have sent you a PM - please see if my suggestion helps

Amaan
Level 6

Hi Mark,

with your solution Evrything is working fine. Installation completed successfully, --gather worked fine and --report worked fine, no issues at all.

Thanks!

Marianne
Level 6
All we need now is for Mark to post suggestions in PM here....

Andy_Welburn
Level 6

& why he's being so secretive?! cheeky

CRZ
Level 6

I suspect Mark gave him some instructions support would never think of giving out, or want public, involving some manual stuff and possibly overwriting this version of the command with that one and a few other things of that nature.  wink

Glad it's finally working now, though.

I will make one more push for my initial diagnosis as the correct one (status 20 ← binary mismatch from nbdeployutil trying to use enhanced command line switches calling stock [incorrect] version of those commands) and then throw myself on the mercy of the original poster when it comes to designating a solution, keeping in mind he already gave Mark one for the previous thread.  devil

Amaan
Level 6

Mark, I would mark your thread as solution, but If you will publish the solution. What do you guys think should I mark as solution?

Marianne
Level 6

Let us wait for Mark to share the secret....

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Glad it is sorted for you - I was being secretive purely because I wanted Amaan to try a different binary all together if he was happy to do so.

In an earlier post - one the other thread I pointed out that the 7.0.1 EEB that I had was a different number so I had him test that one - which obviously worked perfectly.

As Chris is a Symantec Employee perhaps he could notify Support that the currently posted EEB (NB_7.0.1_ET2391770_10) may have issues and perhaps this could be checked out.

The EEB that does work for Amaan is NB_7.0.1_ET2271100_1 which does not seem to be on the support site any longer.

So I hope that clears it up for everyone - sorry for the secret squirrel but I just wanted to point him to the location of a different EBB to try out which turned out do be the solution.