cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi, My company plan to purchase two HP-UX server and inst...

Vincent_Pek
Level 3
Hi, My company plan to purchase two HP-UX server and install oracle, a tape library with two drives, all of these connect tru SAN. In this scenario, if we want to backup these two Oracle server using netbackup via SAN, what options should we purchase?
A vendor quote us 'SAN Media Server' and 'Client protection server', but I could not find any option in Netbackup, anyone know what is the function of these two options?

Do we need to have another "Master media server" if we want to use the shared storage option?

Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

Jonathan_Martin
Level 4
The SAN Media server allows the client (Oracle Server in this case) to act like a media server for the purposes of backing up its own data.  So if you were using SSO to share fiber drives, this would allow the box to pickup a tape drive and write to it.  The "SAN Media Server" would talk to the Master just like any other media server but could only backup data local to itself.

I don't think you need a client protect licence AND a SAN Media server licence for a single host, but you said there were two boxes.  You are also going to need a Netbackup Oracle Licence if you plan on using RMAN.

Vincent_Pek
Level 3
hi,
I found in the shared storage guide , there is some kind of 'SAN Client and Fiber transport', with a media server with Fiber Transport activate, the client can send backup data thru SAN to the media server. Can this method use to backup Oracle db?

Thanks

Stumpr2
Level 6
Sounds like NB 6.5
I'm not familiar with iy but perhaps there is a write up in the "Release Notes".
Try downloading it from the website and have a look.

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
I think we are all assuming that you already have a NetBackup master server.  Is this right?

If not, then one of your Oracle servers will also need to be a NetBackup master server.   If you will only be backing-up up these two machines, and these two machines will only be securing themselves then you will need one master server licence + one Oracle database extension licence (the master includes SSO and one client), and then you will also need one "SAN media server" (i.e. super client) (N.B. not an "SSO Media Server") + Oracle database extension.

Please explain whether you have a master server already?

Plus will you be wanting to backup the Oracle databases online, offline (closed), or just exported "dumps"?  Above, I have assumed that you will want to save Oracle "online" via either the "NetBackup Database Extension" or via RMAN.  Which do you want to use?

Vincent_Pek
Level 3
Hi,
Very thanks for your reply.
1.we do not have Master server, so can we use another Win server as Master server? and what is the purpose of Master server?
2. If the Master server crash, can we still perform backup or restoration?
3. What is the different of 'Oracle Database Extension' and 'Oracle agent', or they are the same things?
4. If the Master server installed in the Oracle DB server, do we still need to install SAN media server in this server? or the Master server can also act like a media server?
5. We want to backup and restore the database via RMAN(online)...so which Oracle option we need to purchase? The "Oracle Database Extension" or "Oracle Agent".
6. Is the "SAN media server"="SAN Client with Fiber Transport"? or they are two different things?

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified
1) Yes you can use a.n.other server as a master server, but it might be better to plan for the future and purchase another box (or cluster) to act as the master server.
2) If you have a single node master, and it crashes, then no, you will not be able to perform backups or restores via media servers (either SAN or SSO) or plain clients.
3)  "Oracle Database Extension" and "Oracle Agent" refer to the same licenced option, i.e. the ability to backup Oracle whilst it is up/open.
4a) If NetBackup master server is installed on an Oracle server, then as long as you purchase "NetBackup Enterprise Server" then this includes a licence for one SSO media server and one client, and one library based tape drive.  Personally, I wouldn't install NBU master server on an Oracle server.
4b) Yes, a master server is a media server is a client.
5) If you want to backup Oracle via RMAN, then yes you will need an Oracle Agent licence.  The terms "Oracle Database Extension" and "Oracle Agent" are synonomous.
6) Yes, a "SAN Media Server" is a "SAN Client with Fibre Transport".

7) What version of NetBackup are you thinking of using?
8) If you are a high availability site, then you may want to think about installing a NetBackup Master Server cluster, and store your catalog database on SAN attached disk storage.
9) I would look at doing the following, NetBackup Master server cluster, two "SAN media server" + "Oracle Agent".  (you do not need separate "Protect Server" as you will not be backing-up any other plain clients.  The "SAN Media Server" licence includes a licence to secure itself.
10) N.B. if you do go for two separate "SAN Media Server" instances on your two Oracle hosts, then if you want each Oracle database to backup at the same time then you will need two tape drives in your library.  This is because a "SAN Media Server" cannot share it's tape drive (during backup) with any other NetBackup server.   Or, if you an high availability site, have two libraries, one at each of two different sites, i.e. place you library at the opposite site to your client.
11) I believe that "SSO Media Server" and "SAN Media Server" licences do not inlcude a licence for one "library tape drive", i.e. not like a master server licence.  So, you will need to purchase two more "Library Tape Drive" licences, i.e. one for each of your "SAN Media Server".