cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High utilization of MSDP disk

billvel
Level 3

Hi Guys,

Need to some help to check below: I found 2 of my MSDP PureDisk sudden growth! seems old images not expired according to policy my current retention policy is:

Schedules

Backup Type

Retention Period

Remarks

Daily

Differential Incremental Backup

2 weeks

To be kept maximum 12 copies (Assuming daily is mon – sat)

Weekly

Full Backup

1 month

To be kept maximum 4 copies

Monthly

Full Backup

1 year

To be kept maximum on 12 copies

Yearly

Full Backup

7 years

To be kept maximum of 7 copies

Look at the maximum copies as defined above. The backup should be rotated and not exceed this above figure so is there any way (command or GUI Veritas backup running on 8.1-Appliance) i can find backup capacity increased due to other reasons or expired images already not existing in the storage etc...Please advice.

5 REPLIES 5

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

1) check for incomplete SLP processing

2) the only way to check that images are expiring on time is to check each image individually, or write a script

3) maybe you have some data sets that continually diverge (i.e. become more unique (i.e. become less similar)) by 5% every week... and so if you were to keep 20 copies, then your total retained extra would be... 20 * 5% = 100% additional dedupe space consumed by trying to hangon to 5% of differences from each retained copy.  The only way to check this is to look in activity monitor (or error log - but not errors, I mean check the info messages) to pick up what the achieved dedupe figures were for each backup - and look for outliers that consume most space - again I would script this.

sdo

See @Omar_Villa 's superb article on SLP backlog.  And you do need to check SLP backlog first... because in many cases... backup images that are retained, yet SLP incomplete do not show up in the "bpimagelist" command - so one always has to check for SLP backlog first.

see Omar's post here:

https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Articles/Netbackup-SLP-Backlog-Report-and-Troubleshooting/ta-p/810343

sdo

How many images are reported by this :

nbstlutil list -l -image_incomplete

Hi,

There is no SLP on this server. Current backup type is Disk based only.

Thanks.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@billvel wrote:

There is no SLP on this server. Current backup type is Disk based only.

Then please have a look at points 2) and 3) in @sdo 's 1st reply.

Bear in mind that not all data is cleaned up when a dedupe image expires - any data that is referenced by subsequent backups will not be removed.

Extremely important that MSDP sizing is done correctly - 
Daily change rate, realistic annual growth rate, dedupe rate for data types, etc. need to be considered.