cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Housekeeping - remove old or invalid clients from netbackup console

mikennedy
Level 3

Been using NBU for a couple of years now in a medium-large enterprise environment.  currently we have a lot of now invalid clients defined in the admin console that i would like to eventually remove from the system, just to de-clutter things.  as clients have been decomissioned, we have moved them out of their regular backup policies into a policy called 'decomissioned'.  this policy doesn'treally do anything, no schedule, no backup, its deactivated actually.  i didn't want to just delete the clients that were decomissioned just in case we were called upon to restore data for some reason.  i figured having the client out there somewhere would be for the best. but eventually, every backup image for one of these decomissioned clients will expire.  at that point, i can see no reason to have the client name exist anywhere in our system.

my question is, what is the best way to validate that no images exist for a client?  I know i can search the catalog from within the java admin console, but is there a quicker way?  i am wondering about browsing here; masterserver:/cat/images/clientname   and looking to see if the directory is empty.  if it is empty, i believe that indicates that there are no images.  is that correct ?

thank you

5 REPLIES 5

watsons
Level 6

A restore does not require the client name to be there, but I can understand you want to keep it for the purpose of "knowing" it was a client this environment did the backup for.

To validate if there is still valid image for the client, just do a:

bpimagelist -client <clientname>  -s 01/01/1971 -l

An empty result means there is none. But beware, the result may sometimes show you expired images if it's in a media (tape) which is frozen. You can unfreeze the tape to let the images expire by itself.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

bpimagelist command would also be my choice.

thanks for the reply.  what do these switches do?  i don't see these options in the usage output.

-s 01/01/1971 -l

-s <startdate> 

is giving it a start date to search within catalog. 1970 is the standard way of capturing all older images.

-l 

is to list the image output in brief format. You can also use -L for detailed format, -U for more user-readable format.

-s doesn't work in my environment

thanks