cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Backup of Last 24 hrs CCTV images folder via Netbackup?

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

·         We have multiple Cameras folder in one Drive

·         Each Camera folder contain recording folders on hourly basis for 30 days

·         We need to fetch pervious day 24 hours folders backup from each camera folder (i.e. date-1       24 hours)

So how we can manage it to backup last 24hrs data ?

We are using NB 7.6.0.4 and folders are on one server wih NB client installed in it

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

You shouldn't need your own batch script.  NetBackup 'backup policies' do not call scripts in perhaps the way that you are thinking.  Don't get me wrong, you may still need to 'action' a script at policy startup - but on the basis of the above it does not appear that you need to this.  It depends upon what your script is doing.  Are you able to share/post the contents of your script - and then we'll be able to advise on whether a strightforward NetBackup backup policy should be enough for you.

NetBackup Client software will do the heavy lifting for you.

It sounds to me as though you need to amend your backup policy so that your differential schedule will run at 00:05 each day.

If you take a daily 'differential' backup every day of the entire folder tree, then it will only ever take the new files created/modified since the previous 'differential' backup - no matter which sub-folder these new/modified files are in.

The problem you may face - is that for this to work, there needs to be a first or preceding full backup, because otherwise the next differential has no preceding backup upon which to base it's difference in time.  I don't think there's anything that can be done about that.  But I'm not 100% sure, so let's ask...

Does anyone know how to force a first backup to be a differential backup, i.e. pre-set a time difference?

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

sdo

Run a differential incremental backup once every 24 hours.

ontherocks
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

1. Take one time Full backup of complete drive with longer retention period. Schedule it to run on Monthly basis. If size is not too much.

2. Take  differential incrementals on following days.

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

thanks

but question is,

Daily for each hour new folder with cctv image is there.

Our scenario is

today is 17 th april 2015

so today we need 16th April 2015 data backup from 00 to 24 hr

next day on 18th April 2015

we need 17th april 2015 data backup from 00 to 24hr

We have also made batch script file for it

Now my question is

Policy Type is windows , Client is windows 2008r2,

1.Is schedule is Diffrential incr 24 hrs?

and

2.in selection list can we include Batch script file ?

or

3. where we can include batch script file in .bks format to call in Netbackup Policy using Policy Typy Ms Windows?

sdo

You shouldn't need your own batch script.  NetBackup 'backup policies' do not call scripts in perhaps the way that you are thinking.  Don't get me wrong, you may still need to 'action' a script at policy startup - but on the basis of the above it does not appear that you need to this.  It depends upon what your script is doing.  Are you able to share/post the contents of your script - and then we'll be able to advise on whether a strightforward NetBackup backup policy should be enough for you.

NetBackup Client software will do the heavy lifting for you.

It sounds to me as though you need to amend your backup policy so that your differential schedule will run at 00:05 each day.

If you take a daily 'differential' backup every day of the entire folder tree, then it will only ever take the new files created/modified since the previous 'differential' backup - no matter which sub-folder these new/modified files are in.

The problem you may face - is that for this to work, there needs to be a first or preceding full backup, because otherwise the next differential has no preceding backup upon which to base it's difference in time.  I don't think there's anything that can be done about that.  But I'm not 100% sure, so let's ask...

Does anyone know how to force a first backup to be a differential backup, i.e. pre-set a time difference?

inn_kam
Level 6
Partner Accredited

actually we want to take the backups of cctv images ( new image of each folder , no repetation)

Daily there is One folder having 24 folders distributed on hourly basis for eg

Mon Folder

00_images

01_images

;

;

;

24_images

Tue_folder

00_images

01_images

;

;

;

24_images

So How we will Select Selection List in Netbackup policy ?

as daily the selection list changes?

we have no problem of Storage , we will let all these images to Tapes .

sdo

Just add the folder path above all the day folders, and run a differential schedule, and it will only select the new files created since the previous backup.

DG-2005
Level 5

have your batch script run and copy the files needed for the folder (eg mon,tue,wed,etc), you could then setup netbackup to allow user initiated backups and call netbackup to backup that specific folder which would be a full backup for that specific folder only.