cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Restore from USB Disk

ibrahimbaba
Level 4

Hello everyone 

I have been backing up my servers to external usb Hard drives and i recently upgraded to netbackup 7.6

I then noticed the opscenter does not show my external usb drive under media and when i try to restore a server from 

the Drive there are no backups shown one required media so i am stuck, and have lots of servers on these drives

pls help

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Ensure USB drives are mounted to same drive letter/folder as specified in the Storage Unit Properties.

Use Windows Disk Manager to check mount points and then confirm in Windows Explorer.

View solution in original post

RonCaplinger
Level 6

From this screen shot, you ran a full backup on the 15th, no backup on the 16th, and an incremental backup on the 17th.  It looks like you only selected the incremental run from the 17th to restore from.

Selecting just the incremental backup for restore will ONLY show you the files (and therefore the folders containing them) in the selection list that had changed or were added since the full on the 15th.  If you want to restore anything more than that, you must also select the full backup and every incremental since then. 

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Marianne

Ensure USB drives are mounted to same drive letter/folder as specified in the Storage Unit Properties.

Use Windows Disk Manager to check mount points and then confirm in Windows Explorer.

ibrahimbaba
Level 4

i have checked and the letters are the same see attached screen shot

Marianne

The screenshot shows the drive letter. No contents showing files/folders.

We can also not see Storage Unit Properties in the screen behind Explorer.

Please also tell us more about restore issue. What is your search criteria to check for backups?

You need to specify/select all of the following when browsing for files/folders to restore:

Server name - this must be the Master

Client name - must correspond exactly with Client name specified in backup policy.

Policy type - must correspond with Policy type in the backup policy for this client.

Once you have entered all of the above, you should be able to browse files/folders for this client provided that backups have not expired.

When you have selected files/folders to be restored, NBU will look for the backup data on storage media.

ibrahimbaba
Level 4

those are all set

ibrahimbaba
Level 4

I have now found that NB is not even backing up everything in the selected folders it is leaving out some files 

Marianne

Important that you carefully check the result of backups.

Restore time is not a good time to find out that everything has not been backed up...

ibrahimbaba
Level 4

See the difference in content and what NB is backing up am i doing something wrong

Marianne

What is in Backup Selection in the Policy?

Any Exclude List for this Client?

To see what is happening during backup, create bpbkar log folder on the client and increase logging level for this client to 3.
You will be able to see each file/folder name that the client is backing up.

mnolan
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

I would look in the catalog to see what the media id for the image/copy and make sure that the location of the actual image files matches.

NetBackup does not use the storage unit information to determine where images are during a restore, that information is part of the metadata that the catalog would show you.

-Edit- Failed to mention that if the storage was basic disk, instead of getting a disk pool media id @aaaaa or such, it would be the actual path stored.

RonCaplinger
Level 6

From this screen shot, you ran a full backup on the 15th, no backup on the 16th, and an incremental backup on the 17th.  It looks like you only selected the incremental run from the 17th to restore from.

Selecting just the incremental backup for restore will ONLY show you the files (and therefore the folders containing them) in the selection list that had changed or were added since the full on the 15th.  If you want to restore anything more than that, you must also select the full backup and every incremental since then. 

ibrahimbaba
Level 4

i cannot find any exclusions on the selections and i have also checked to see that the basic disk path is the same as actual storage location

ibrahimbaba
Level 4

Checking on the full backups to see if they have the complete files

ibrahimbaba
Level 4

i found that i can run a restore even though preview media does not show the required media for the retore.

as for the missing files its as Ron said the full backup had the required files and the incremental backups only had the ones with changes i guess

so those issues are sorted so only thing left is the issues of why i cant view disk media from opscenter and perview required media