cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How LTO4 change to LTO6 Drives and Tapes in NBU

Dimitrios
Level 4

Hello,

i need a little Help, i must change next weck old LTO Drive to new LTO6, ok change the physically Drive is no a problem, just one thinks make me a headache: to remove old tapes and replace the new tape in the new LTO6.

first one i change the state of the Drive in Netbackup to down, remove old LTO withe all Tapes and replace the new Hardware of LTO6 and then can i take all new (80) Tapes inside the Library? After this step take i "inventory Robot"? Tath should be all steps, right?

has anyone experienced for a best practice?

i have thies issue:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH34296

for an answer would be grateful!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Mark_Solutions
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

When the drives have been swapped out you will find that even though the serial numbers stay the same the scsi enquiry will change due to different firmware so you will still need to run the wizard - you will also need to check your tape drivers are Ok on the media servers .. but still a lot easier that starting all over

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

What is your tape library? Some libraries never show the real drive serial number but mask it so that drive changes are less disruptive - it may be you need to do nothing more than re-run the device wizard to update your config

If however it does not mask then i would prefer to delete all existing drives (restarting services when prompted) and then run the device wizard once the new ones are installed - making sure that they are the same denisty as the originals (hcart2 or whatever) so that you can read you existing tapes for restore purposes.

If the drives are in the same library there should be no need to delete the robot or do anything with the inventory other than do an update once the tapes have been changed out

Hope this helps

Yogesh_Jadhav1
Level 5

Mark is absloutely right. If you have IBM tape Library make sure you see the serial number and the Drive Firmware is latest. I had faced issue on one of Tape Drive which I replace on IBM Tape Libraries. It won't show the new drive. So make sure the procedure is followed and you see all the Drives.

For Tapes just inventory will not suffice, you will have to label the Tapes as well if they are brand new.

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

You dont need to label new tapes .. NetBackup will label them the first time they get used

Dimitrios
Level 4

Ok thak you so much! I Think that is it.

Library is Quantum i500

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

Good stuff - i500 libraries usually do mask the serial numbers by default - just need to run the wizard to update the scsi enquiry strings

Dimitrios
Level 4

but can i put all new Tapes in the Drive bevor start wizzard on the NBU side? That would be realy easy to handle and one must not put only 5 Tapes and mount thies. smiley

Mark_Solutions
Level 6

When the drives have been swapped out you will find that even though the serial numbers stay the same the scsi enquiry will change due to different firmware so you will still need to run the wizard - you will also need to check your tape drivers are Ok on the media servers .. but still a lot easier that starting all over

Dimitrios
Level 4

i have big trouble with the new LT06 Drive, Netbackup can reade and write only on one of the Drive, but the second Drive when start backup, go to (under Device Monitor) Control State: Down-TLD. I dont no why thies happend?

I have remove old Drive from NBU side over Java Console, and than run tpautoconf -a, stopltid and (start) ltid now.

Any idee?

Master and Media Server is SLES 10,

On the OS

scsi.bus = 0 (0x0)
  scsi.host = 11 (0xb)
  scsi.lun = 0 (0x0)
  scsi.model = 'ULTRIUM-TD4'
  scsi.target = 1 (0x1)
  scsi.type = 'tape'
  scsi.vendor = 'IBM'

All Drives looks so, and the Model is Ultrium-td4 and must be have ULTRIUM-TD6, so locks on the NBU side: scan

------------------------------------------------------------
Device Name  : "/dev/nst2"
Passthru Name: "/dev/sg33"
Volume Header: ""
Port: -1; Bus: -1; Target: -1; LUN: -1
Inquiry    : "IBM     ULTRIUM-TD6     XXXX"
Vendor ID  : "IBM     "
Product ID : "ULTRIUM-TD6     "
Product Rev: "xxxx"
Serial Number: "FXXXXXXX"
WWN          : ""
WWN Id Type  : 0
Device Identifier: "IBM     ULTRIUM-TD6     F0A0A8D004"
Device Type    : SDT_TAPE
NetBackup Drive Type: 16
Removable      : Yes
Device Supports: SCSI-6
Flags : 0x0
Reason: 0x0
-------------

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I am battling to understand your last question...

but can i put all new Tapes in the Drive bevor start wizzard on the NBU side? 

Are Tapes referring to backup media? As in cartridges? Like this picture?  

And is Drive referring to the new LTO6 tape drive? Like this picture ?

Maybe you want to put the tapes (backup media) in the robot/library?

And which wizard are you referring to?
Device Config Wizard? 
Robot Inventory?

Please help us to understand your question?