cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Long to Read an LTO3 Tape

Randy_Samora
Level 6
Does anyone have any experience with having to reread an LTO3 tape? I have a customer that's about to blow away some data and they want me to verify the media used in the last Full backup. I was going to run a Media Contents report on each tape to verify but I also have a backup schedule that cannot be interrupted. I don't want to have a drive tied up reading tapes when backups start and I'd like to have some idea how long each read is going to take assuming each tape is full. Anyone?

Thanks,
Randy
9 REPLIES 9

DavidParker
Level 6
Randy,
Instead of re-reading the whole tape, why not just verify each image that you may need?
You can use the 'bpverify' command to do so.
Just reading and verifying is pretty fast (not much work to do and no network to wait on), I wouldn't think it would take more than an hour or two.

I can do Media Contents on LTO2 tapes here and it only takes like 30 minutes.

Randy_Samora
Level 6
A print out listing each image is going to give them warmer fuzzies than a media contents report. Thanks for the tip.

Stumpr2
Level 6
Randy,
If you run that bpverify in verbose mode you can get a line entry for each file backed up in an image.

Stumpr2
Level 6
David,
Congrats on getting master level status. This is the post that put you over the top. However, it really doesn't count until you get 1,000 in this forum :)

Randy. You just helped to make David a master!Message was edited by:
Bob Stump

DavidParker
Level 6
Yes sir, Bob!
I think I can manage another 25 points in this forum. :)

Thanks for the points Randy!
Glad to be of assistance!

DP

Randy_Samora
Level 6
Just remember me when you make it big. And when Symantec hires you, let's talk about some revisions!!

DavidParker
Level 6
LOL!
I wish!
They're still payin me Minimum Wage here!

But if you want a change of job, I may know a couple places that are hiring (and 1 of em's Work From Home). ;)

Stumpr2
Level 6
David,
I just applied for the one that is Work From Home.
Thanks for the lead. :)

DavidParker
Level 6
I'll put in a good (great) word for you if you want!

I'm still waiting to hear back from them; they're trying to sort some HR stuff out.
And you know how that stuff goes ...
sheesh!