cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How NBU works with importing NetWorker tapes ?

Arshad_Khateeb
Level 5
Certified

Just thought of making sure and to be 100% clear, i thought of checking in this forum about one of my concern which is........

How NBU works with importing NetWorker tapes ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello,

NetBackup will not be able to import Networker tapes as the OTF(open tape format) which networker uses to write data cant be read by Netbackup.

Regards,

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Hello,

NetBackup will not be able to import Networker tapes as the OTF(open tape format) which networker uses to write data cant be read by Netbackup.

Regards,

Arshad_Khateeb
Level 5
Certified

Much appreciate reverting back quickly.

I will take a look at what OTF is used by Networker so that i can compare it with Netbackup.

Arshad_Khateeb
Level 5
Certified

" Can we can do one thing and carry out a test with one Legato Tape and try to import under NBU with foreign media and check if it can able to read it without labeling it ? "

Thoughts ???

Symctec
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Ofcourse man, its your system. Why would you need my permission to do it :).

But do make the media write protected before using for any operations unless you are not much worried of the NetWorker data.

I am pretty sure NBU can not read OTF formatted tape but do let me know the results.Most likely you may see error 93.

Regards..

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

You can carry out any test you like, but it will not work.

Networker writes in it's own format, unique to Networker.

NetBackup is unable to understand this format and will not read the tapes.  In fact, you will find it will not even mount the tape, as it won't undrestand the tape header.

There is no way around this. simply, Networker tapes are not compatible with NetBackup.

Martin

teiva-boy
Level 6

Most backup vendors all use a proprietary format when writing to tape.

NBU's modified tar format, BackupExec's MTF, Networker's OTF, etc...  

There are 3rd party apps to help with this.  But nothing native in the respective backup apps to help with this.

Arshad_Khateeb
Level 5
Certified

Offcourse its my system :) but i just want to rule out this option as well bcoz the tape is presently in a datacentre which is far away from our datacentre.

Thank you for clarifying!

Arshad_Khateeb
Level 5
Certified

Thank you for your valuable comments, i am pretty much clear now and don't have any doubts :)

Arshad_Khateeb
Level 5
Certified

Thanks for the information and sharing your thoughts to clear my doubts :)