cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How-To-Guide: NetBackup Amazon Machine Image

arjanvp
Level 3
Employee

Today, we announced general availability of NetBackup 8.0 with expanded cloud options for cloud integration and cloud-based NetBackup instances.

To get started with the new NetBackup Amazon Machine Image in AWS, I have attached the USER GUIDE - Veritas NetBackup CloudFormation Template. 

11 REPLIES 11

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Thanks for posting - some grumpy old man comments from me, provided with the best intentions:

• Please consider to add a acronyms and definitions to the document.
  • From a outsider no answer is given on what cloudformation template is (knowingly writing)
  • Any prerequsites ?

arjanvp
Level 3
Employee

Thanks Nicolai. That is valid feedback and I'll make sure we update the document. I am also planning a blog post on the NetBackup AMI, so I'll make sure to address your points there too.

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I found your blog over here: https://vox.veritas.com/t5/Netting-Out-NetBackup-Blog/New-Cloud-Capabilities-in-NetBackup-8-0/ba-p/8...

The reference to NetBackup Amazon Machine Image made me want to look for more information.
Needless to say there is nothing in NBU 8.0 Release Notes. 

Google found this blog... 

I was hoping for an 'idiot's guide' but it seems to be written for Cloud Storage admin/expert.
The steps seem easy enough to follow, but what is this file that must be uploaded?

NBU-AMI CFT

Who supplies this template/file and where can it be obtained from?

Marianne

I'm chasing down why we don't have more detail about this in the standard docs, but in the mean time, take a look at this page:

https://www.veritas.com/solution/amazon-web-services/test-drive-netbackup 

There is a link to the CFT guide on that page.  If it still doesn't get you enough information, let me know and I'll see what further I can chase down.  I admittedly haven't played with this yet, so I'm not sure what additional pieces might be missing to give you the complete picture.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

sdo
Partner    VIP    Certified

Apologies if you already spotted it Charles...

...but the link again, without the trailing space:

https://www.veritas.com/solution/amazon-web-services/test-drive-netbackup

vtas_chas
Level 6
Employee

Okay, so I fished around and discovered we don't actually HAVE the link to the AMI available (oops).

This is being remedied with our web team, but in the mean time:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/veritas-td-cfts/NBU-AMI-QuickStart/NBU-AMI.json

should download the AMI so you can deploy NBU.  If it doesn't work, let me know and I'll keep fishing.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

Marianne

Thanks for all the trouble Charles!

I am still hoping for an 'Idiots Guide'.

The link to 'Access the NetBackup AMI '  wants me to 'Sign In or Create an AWS Account'.

I am nowhere ready to do this - just looking for HOWTO information at this stage.

The NBU-AMI.json file is only 22KB in size ? I am more curious than ever to know what exactly it is... 

Guess I need to find a local AWS expert...

I've expressed the need to product management, and better documentation is on the list for the 8.0 version.  I've requested a step by step guide be added to that list that includes everything you have to do on the AWS side as well as NBU side to make this a completely working solution.  I don't know that we'll get a 7.7.3 version, but I've asked for that as well.

Charles
VCS, NBU & Appliances

Marianne

Thanks Charles!

Looking forward to 8.0 documentation!

The link to AWS is not working can you post the link that works to test drive?

drewS
Level 1

Very good info thanks.

Is there any limitations using AWS when backing up from one AZ (availability zone) another AZ?