cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To decomm disk based media servers in netbackup

PhaniKumar82
Level 5
Partner
Team Need steps to decommission disk based media server ( Datadomain OST ) in netbackup 7.5.0.3 Master server /Media servers are in Windows 2008 R2 OS which has 7.5.0.3 version of netbackup installed Regards, Phani Kumar
6 REPLIES 6

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

Consider using nbdecommission.

This TN describes what the tool can do for you (same applies to Windows): http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO66666

PS: PLEASE provide feedback on your unresolved forum posts?

e.g. https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/how-change-media-server-installation-system-drive-non... 
https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/need-change-default-temp-files-location 

etc.....

PhaniKumar82
Level 5
Partner

Marianne Van den Berg,

Can you explain bit clear :( like what are the steps need to do move the catalog db 

i know how to do that in tape based media servers but am not sure about disk based 

do we need to move db in disk based also to another disk based media server ?

Regards,

Phani Kumar

RamNagalla
Partner    VIP    Certified

in disk base , you would need to duplicate the images to another media server disk or tape, then you  need to expire the images from the disk that you are trying to decomm..

rest of the steps are same for disk and tape.

nbemmcmd -deletealldevices -machinename -machinetype media

nbemmcmd -deletehost -machinename -machinetype media

remove from bp.conf of master 

Marianne

This is OST Storage Unit where you have multiple media server connected to same OST disk pool, right?

nbdecommission -oldserver mediaserverX  -newserver mediaserverY

will move all image ownership to mediaserverY and completely remove mediaserverX from NBU config.

I believe HOWTO66666 explains this in the OST column:

Specifies that if more than one media server can access the disk pool that is the destination of the storage unit, it does the following:

• Removes the old server from the Media Servers list of the storage unit.

• Deletes the media server as an OpenStorage storage server.

If the old server is the only server that can access the disk pool, the wizard lets you choose to do one of the following:

• Transfer the credentials to the new server and update the Media server field in the storage unit if required.

• Expire the images (if any), delete any storage units that reference the disk pool, and delete the disk pool. (A reference is when the disk pool appears in the Disk pool setting of a storage unit.)

PhaniKumar82
Level 5
Partner

Marianne van den Berg

We have one master two media servers even master server also act as media servers 

all the above three servers are configured as media server load balancing option with Data doman OST on netbackup 

Now requirement is i want to decomm above two media servers & i want to use my master server as media server aswell using same DD OST 

Regards,

Phani Kumar

Marianne
You can use nbdecommission as per my previous post.