cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I Reuse Catalog Tape with Active Images.

rclegarto
Level 4
Certified
I have an LTO3 allocated for catalog tape. Now, i'm running out of tapes so I need to re-assign the catalog tape to be use by standard backup.

Actions Taken:

1. manually expire data using this command.. result is shown too
bpexpdate -m <media_id> -d 0 -force
requested media id is not assigned to this host in the EMM database

2. erase tape using bplabel command. It completes successfully but tape is still under the catalog pool. I could not force it to go to SCRATCH

please advise
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

rclegarto
Level 4
Certified

The problem mainly is that I couldn't expire the catalog images that are on the tape. So I used the GUI to do it.

1. I did a verify of the images written on the tape. Once the images were shown, i highlight them all, right click on my mouse and click on EXPIRE.

2. After expiring, i was able to deassign the media using the VMQUERY -deassignbyid command.

FINALLY!!!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

rclegarto
Level 4
Certified
... I was able to read on other discussions that the deassigning of tape using vmquery command is no longer working on version 6.0... I assume this is also the case for higher versions.

rclegarto
Level 4
Certified

The problem mainly is that I couldn't expire the catalog images that are on the tape. So I used the GUI to do it.

1. I did a verify of the images written on the tape. Once the images were shown, i highlight them all, right click on my mouse and click on EXPIRE.

2. After expiring, i was able to deassign the media using the VMQUERY -deassignbyid command.

FINALLY!!!