cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I do redirected RMAN restore to client with backup IP/hostname

zmlat
Level 4

Hello,

In trying to do a redirected restore of an RMAN backup using NetBackup, I am getting the following error: 

05/02/2017 11:32:47 - Error bpbrm (pid=14098) bpcd on fooz exited with status 48: client hostname could not be found
05/02/2017 11:32:48 - restored from image db-backup-source_1493623320; restore time: 0:00:08
05/02/2017 11:32:48 - Info tar (pid=0) done. status: 48: client hostname could not be found
05/02/2017 11:32:48 - Error bpbrm (pid=14098) client restore EXIT STATUS 48: client hostname could not be found
05/02/2017 11:32:52 - end Restore; elapsed time 0:00:15
Oracle policy restore error (2801)

My guess is the the "hostname" in question is the destination client, which is known to Netbackup as: fooz-bkp (since we back it up using a backup network). Normally not an issue on a normal redirected restore, but I'm not sure how to specify the destination client within the RMAN commands, which are being run from fooz.

This is a 7.6.0.4 NB env. restore source Client is linux, and restore destination is a linux media server .

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

What is CLIENT_NAME on the media server? 
It should be fooz-bkp. 

Run these commands on the destination client/media server:

bpclntcmd -self
bpclntcmd -pn

Both should return fooz-bkp.

Next thing to check is the media server that performed the initial backup and assumingly the restore. 
Does that media server 'know' about fooz-bkp / fooz? 
Have you checked forward/reverse name lookup in all directions?
Is it possible to redirect the restore to media server fooz-bkp?

To troubleshoot initial name resolution during job setup, ensure that bprd log exists on the master. If not, create the folder and restart NBU on the master.
This will give us info such as requesting client, requesting client hostname, destination client name, etc. 
bprd will also tell us which media server is selected for the restore.

To troubleshoot media server comms with destination client (if not same), ensure bpbrm log exists on the media server.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Genericus
   VIP   

Put the script on the destination, NOT THE SOURCE

The variable for client name however, MUST BE THE SOURCE CLIENT

Run the script on the redirected destination server, it will find the source client backup and restore to where it runs.

Make sure to have all the Oracle stuff defined so it restores cleanly.

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

The script is running on the destination client. In activity monitor, the client column on the restore job has "fooz", which is not an NB client...the client name as defined in NBU is fooz-bkp.

Thiago_Ribeiro
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Look this document, maybe it can help you with your restore.

Genericus
   VIP   

Make sure the client has required interface as fooz-bkp!

I have had issues in the past with linux where even though it has a backup interface and is defined in bp.conf as fooz-bkup, it send out as fooz - which confuses the master.

There is a system variable multi-dns - it must be off !

NetBackup 9.1.0.1 on Solaris 11, writing to Data Domain 9800 7.7.4.0
duplicating via SLP to LTO5 & LTO8 in SL8500 via ACSLS

Tousif
Level 6

Hello,

Are you able to run the below command and get the list of backup pieces from target client fooz?

#/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bplist -C db-backup-source -t 4 -R -l /

If not then create touch file No.Restrictions file on master server and run the command again.

This command should provide you the successful output. Without backup piece output we cannot move further.

Reference:

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.v15496837_nbu_oracle_web

Also same article have other link about RMAN redirect restore.

Recommendation:

Go through the NBU oracle agent admin guide. It have complete procedure to perform redirect client restore.

Reference topic "Redirecting a restore to a different client" page 93:

Admin Guide : https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.DOC5175

Regards,

Marianne

What is CLIENT_NAME on the media server? 
It should be fooz-bkp. 

Run these commands on the destination client/media server:

bpclntcmd -self
bpclntcmd -pn

Both should return fooz-bkp.

Next thing to check is the media server that performed the initial backup and assumingly the restore. 
Does that media server 'know' about fooz-bkp / fooz? 
Have you checked forward/reverse name lookup in all directions?
Is it possible to redirect the restore to media server fooz-bkp?

To troubleshoot initial name resolution during job setup, ensure that bprd log exists on the master. If not, create the folder and restart NBU on the master.
This will give us info such as requesting client, requesting client hostname, destination client name, etc. 
bprd will also tell us which media server is selected for the restore.

To troubleshoot media server comms with destination client (if not same), ensure bpbrm log exists on the media server.

Tousif
Level 6

Hello,

I forgot to provide steps to resolve the actual error mentioned in post :)

Kindly go through the steps mentioned by @Marianne before follow my steps.

The forward and reverse lookup should happen between Master, Media and client to perform redirect restore.

Master and Media server must aware about the target client

Regards,

Marianne
@zmlat
Any progress here?

Your write that the restore destination is a media server, is there installed Oracle on this media server ?

RMAN only functions with Oracle installed in my experience.

The standard questions: Have you checked: 1) What has changed. 2) The manual 3) If there are any tech notes or VOX posts regarding the issue

Thanks for all the replies.

The media server is an oracle server as well. Initially, the CLIENT_NAME was fooz-bkp, but I noticed in the activity monitor, the error code 48 referencing the fooz client name on the RMAN restore streams. The plan was to backup a huge DB in one DataCenter to a DataDomain, replicate to another DataCenter, and restore to DB/media server with 10gb links on local backup network.

After playing around with bp.conf settings, I got a test restore to work (for 1 rman fileset), but noticed an IP in the client column of activity monitor. Issue  was no reverse DNS entry for DB/media server on NBU master DNS domain (client is on separate DNS domain). Issue fixed, and just when you think you know NetBackup...

Some streams ran fine, but most failed (error 59). Did some googling and found a hit (on this invaluable forum) that for DD restores the media server can be "any". In other words NB does not allow me to say "use this media server for this restore". So while I can easily fix the 59 error issue (not all media servers were in the restore host bp.conf), I still have a challenge in restoring this database using the media/DB server. I can't deactivate other media servers, since this restore can take days.

I will test with storage server access to see if that helps.

Marianne

@LT2013 and @zmlat, are you two working together?

Thanks for marking Solution, but please tell us what exactly you have done to fix the problem?