cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I reuse an encrypted tape as a normal (not encrypted) tape

ilap
Level 3

Hi

Is there any way to reuse an encrypted (KMS) tape as a normal one. I have some expired encrypted tapes and would like to reuse them as normal tapes.

Cheers,

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

I have no 1st-hand experience, but have you tried to move one of the expired tapes to a 'normal' pool?
A pool that does not start with 'ENCR_' ?
Then specify this pool in a policy.

As a test, create a test pool. You may even want to call it Test.
Move expired tape into Test and create a test policy to backup something small to Test pool.

Let us know if this works.

View solution in original post

Marianne
Level 6

That is my understanding, yes.

The only way NBU knows that backup must be encrypted is when  'ENCR_' appears in the poolname.

So, normal pool name indicates to NBU to overwrite the tape in non-encrypted format.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Marianne
Level 6

I have no 1st-hand experience, but have you tried to move one of the expired tapes to a 'normal' pool?
A pool that does not start with 'ENCR_' ?
Then specify this pool in a policy.

As a test, create a test pool. You may even want to call it Test.
Move expired tape into Test and create a test policy to backup something small to Test pool.

Let us know if this works.

ilap
Level 3

Hi,

Yes, I moved those encrypted tapes to some 'normal' pool, but I was not certain whether those will be reused or not. So, I kicked off a test backup which seems worked.

So, no any additional config/work is necessary but just move to them to a normal pool.

Marianne
Level 6

That is my understanding, yes.

The only way NBU knows that backup must be encrypted is when  'ENCR_' appears in the poolname.

So, normal pool name indicates to NBU to overwrite the tape in non-encrypted format.

mph999
Level 6
Employee Accredited

There should be no difference, NBU will just overwrite them.

Nicolai
Partner    VIP   

Basically just confirming what has been already stated.

Netbackup encrypt the backup image (AKA backup data), not the tape itself (e.g. header information).

So when a tape with KMS enabled has been expired, it will return to the scratch pool and can be used by other non-KMS enabled volume pools. You are all good, no action needed.