cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can all of 6.x be off of support in Oct when there aren't 7.x 32 bit Linux clients?

D_Flood
Level 6

According to this:

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/be-aware-netbackup-6x-end-support-life-fast-approaching

All of 6.x will be off of support as of Oct (which I knew and have converted our Masters/Media Servers to 7.1).  But, the 6.5.6 client is the only option for 32 bit Linux (specifically RedHat Enterprise) unless I'm totally missing something when I go to the 7.1 download site.

So...what's the support options for those of us who have 32 bit Linux boxes that won't or can't be converted to 64 bit? Or...is 7.0 the last 32 bit version and I need to call Customer Service to get a 7.0 download key (since we only have 7.1 licenses)?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Marianne
Level 6
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

In all fairness, we have been warned since 6.5 was released. Extract from RHEL section of Compatibility Guide regarding 32-bit version:

NetBackup 7 does not support any version of this OS distribution. Back level support of NetBackup 6.x media servers and clients will be available until NetBackup 6.x reaches end of support.

The EOSL TechNote has also been available for quite some time:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH74757

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CRZ
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You can continue to use your 6.5.6 clients, but with the knowledge that after 10/3, they will be unsupported clients.

This hasn't been kept secret - there are plenty of notes in the NetBackup 6.x O/S Compatibility List pretty plainly saying that in NetBackup 7.x, clients will only be supported with 64 bit binaries.  We also say "Back level support of NetBackup 6.5 clients will be available until NetBackup 6.x reaches end of support." (TECH70729, page 46)

Marianne
Level 6

In all fairness, we have been warned since 6.5 was released. Extract from RHEL section of Compatibility Guide regarding 32-bit version:

NetBackup 7 does not support any version of this OS distribution. Back level support of NetBackup 6.x media servers and clients will be available until NetBackup 6.x reaches end of support.

The EOSL TechNote has also been available for quite some time:

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH74757

D_Flood
Level 6

Thanks Marianne,

That's what I get for joining the 6.x/7.x party late (was running 5.1MP7 as recently as May of 2011 due to Managerial resistance to an upgrade)...I guess I can only hope that our Linix clients never have issues since there's no plans at all to have them go 64 bit.

Marianne
Level 6

Two years after 5.x reached EOSL! LOL!

Will_Restore
Level 6

1) folks who have latest and greatest, which means minimal support experience

2) folks who have really old stuff, which means lots of experience but no official support

D_Flood
Level 6

Combine previous staff who weren't really that interested with a buy-out by a non-NetBackup company who then had to decide if they wanted to keep it and expand it...yup...we were behind the curve in every way.